Would a Bivvy be any good?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
nickoff

Would a Bivvy be any good?

Post by nickoff »

I'll being going on a 2 week European tour ending up in Budapest in the summer and instead of taking my 3 man tent I was thinking of buying a bivvy type tent for convenience. I should only be staying in any one place for 2 nights maximum and want something that I can erect and take down in five minutes. Can anyone recommend a bivvy and maybe a tarp that would do the job? I'm not looking at top of the range gear as I won't be using it that often. Thanks for any help.

Nick.
Tramp

Re: Would a Bivvy be any good?

Post by Tramp »

A sweat box bivy in European summer weather... Man your mad.... Ditch the idea..

Just get a 2 man tent that pitches inner first then use the inner only in hot weather... You'll have more room than a bivy and not much more weight or pack size...
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

I’d echo Tramp’s comment.
A tent is much more pleasant to sleep in if the weather turns sour. You can always get a quick pitch cheap tent from Tesco and give it away if you don’t need it anymore on your travels...
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
dubber68

Post by dubber68 »

For some of my trips I have used a mini peak 2 tent from backpacking light. Pitches with a single pole in just a few minutes. Plenty of room inside for gear and packs very small. The only issue with it is that the sleeping compartment is cramped if your 6ft plus.

https://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shel ... 6-139.html
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

Thanks for your input gents. It looks like it will have to be a pop up type of tent although the one recommended at £159.00 is more than I want to pay for possibly a one off trip. I'll do a bit of Amazon searching nearer to the time of leaving.

Nick.
Biquad

Post by Biquad »

dubber68 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:09 pm For some of my trips I have used a mini peak 2 tent from backpacking light. Pitches with a single pole in just a few minutes. Plenty of room inside for gear and packs very small. The only issue with it is that the sleeping compartment is cramped if your 6ft plus.

I have the same one. Brilliant bit of kit.
I chopped off the mossie net from the inner tent, which leaves a good base to sleep on. I also carry a small tarp to extend the front if necessary.
It does go up in perhaps 2 minutes! Ditched the standard pegs and use titanium pegs that I got years ago, stronger with no sharp edges.
This tent does pack down small.
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

Biquad wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:34 pm
dubber68 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:09 pm For some of my trips I have used a mini peak 2 tent from backpacking light. Pitches with a single pole in just a few minutes. Plenty of room inside for gear and packs very small. The only issue with it is that the sleeping compartment is cramped if your 6ft plus.

I have the same one. Brilliant bit of kit.
I chopped off the mossie net from the inner tent, which leaves a good base to sleep on. I also carry a small tarp to extend the front if necessary.
It does go up in perhaps 2 minutes! Ditched the standard pegs and use titanium pegs that I got years ago, stronger with no sharp edges.
This tent does pack down small.
Cheers Steve for the input but as mentioned earlier I don't want to be forking out the best part of 160 quid for a tent that I will only be using for a couple of weeks. I'll take a look at Amazon, fleabay etc to see if there anything worth picking up.

Nick.
dynax

Post by dynax »

Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Have a look at Go Outdoors, they have some bargains on.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15986984/e ... t-15986984

You'll be glad of somewhere to stash kit & get dressed etc. if it's raining!!

D
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Get a cheap hammock with bugnet from Amazon for around £20, or a slightly more expensive one from DD Hammocks, add a tarp for shade from the sun, or shelter from the rain. A tarp also makes a great place to chill out when setup in porch mode

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”