Snugpak sleeping bags.

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
nickoff

Snugpak sleeping bags.

Post by nickoff »

Last weekend I was camping out in Cumbria and despite having a few "beer blankets" I found I was getting cold at night. I got chatting to a chap who seemed to know what he was on about and he recommended the Snugpak range of sleeping bags. I've checked out a few reviews and they seem to be well liked. The one I'm leaning to is the Snugpak Softie Expansion 4. Anyone on here had any experience with this product?
Tia, Nick.
catcitrus

Re: Snugpak sleeping bags.

Post by catcitrus »

snugpak are a good brand BUT if its synthetic its bulky-I've passed my 4 season synthetic on. They are especially bulky for a 3/4 season. I've ended up with a down 4 season from China (they are the source for about 90% of the world's down!)--I think Whitewolf was the brand---superb for a 4 season for about 80 quid. I do have other two/three season bags that pack small and I do put one inside the other--but for subzero camping you can't beat a good down bag--and I use an Exped Downmat 9 which has its own built in inflation, packs really small, and with the down fill you can camp on ice--but they are not cheap!
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I've the snug pak softie 4 with expandable baffle and along with a thermo rest inflatable matt it's toasty at _5c but I've used it at 26c unzipped as a over blanket... Rolls up really small...the hood is good when cold along with a wooly hat.

Anything made by snugpak is quality stuff.. Check prices as they vary...synthetic still keeps you warm when wet... I normally sleep in long John's and socks when cold aka my own we willy winki outfit... I'm happy.
dave h

Post by dave h »

sorry for the unashamed link to my trip but i used [and still use in the winter] a softie 5 expandable it was perfect pitched on ice,

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... 37#p653214

Dave.
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

dave h wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:24 pm sorry for the unashamed link to my trip but i used [and still use in the winter] a softie 5 expandable it was perfect pitched on ice,

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... 37#p653214

Dave.
Dave, loved the read up about your trip. It's what biking is all about. After looking at your piccys it's helped to make my mind up that the Snugpak is the way to go, although I think the 4 season should be ok for my own adventures. Happy to be proven wrong. Thanks again for the write up.

Nick.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Nick... I find when putting the bag into its stuff sack roll up the deflate and air then stuff it in the sack rather than roll up and stuff in sack....

Enjoy...
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I have used Snugpak sleeping bags for years now and i am generally impressed with the quality,durability and most importantly the performance in cold conditions. I find as i get older my tolerance to the cold decreases so warmth is really important to a good nights sleep whilst camping. I also use Snugpak softie jacket and even the trousers which when worn in the sleeping bag add an extra season to temperature rating of the sleeping bag. As i hammock camp the main problem is compressing the insulation material of the sleeping bag and the cold air under your back makes it really uncomfortable. I was going to fit an underquilt but ended up with another great product from Snugpak their hammock cocoon which fits right over the whole hammock with a full length double acting zip meaning you leave it zipped up and it traps the warm air ready for you to get in and because you leave the cocoon sagging underneath the insulation material is not compressed by your body weight.
Of course there is nothing better than a down sleeping bag but synthetic hollow fibre has improved over the years and cannot be beaten for the price. As for packing away sleeping bags i never roll mine up and try to get it into the stuffsack that way i just feed it in closed end/foot first and compress it by hand as i go.
nickoff

Post by nickoff »

Tramp, Frenchy3, I have always in the past rolled up my sleeping bag before wrestling it into the stuff sack. By coincidence I watched a video a couple of days a go which recommended using the method you suggested so I tried it. lo and behold it was easier to get it back into the stuff sack. Another lesson learned by this old dog. Thanks.

Nick.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

My only snugpak item is an under blanket for a hammock which is ok, your options are only limited by your budget. My most recent purchase is a Cumulus goose down quilt which arrived last week, and along with my Alpkit PD800 sleeping bag are the two warmest things I use, but at £200+ each I recon they’re worth the cost
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

I have used snugpak products for years, including the original softee jacket, all pack small for the warmth they provide.
Great kit at a great price, the Army use them so can't be that bad. The jacket I would pick for the coldest night over any down jacket, unless in the Artic :D

Great kit.
My softee jacket is over 10 years old and works every time I need it.
My bag is the large/long and packs small and even in cold situations I normally have the zip open a bit :lol:

BB
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”