JUMP STARTER REVIEW

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
McVicar

JUMP STARTER REVIEW

Post by McVicar »

Hi all, after a heads up on the Versys forum about a jump starter as small as a mobile phone for under £25 that actually works I thought I'd share on here. I have absolutely no connection with the company involved just thought I'd share.
As I have no idea how to post pictures on here I've just posted a link to the thread on the Versys forum. I hope this is ok, if not I'm sure the mods will remove.
https://www.versys.co.uk/index.php/topi ... #msg332716
chunky butt

Re: JUMP STARTER REVIEW

Post by chunky butt »

Really interested in this. Clicked on link but I've got to register etc. Sooo can you just tell us make and model please and I'll search for it. Cheers Steve.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

I bought an Energiser jump start power pack several years ago from Aldi. It says it'll start up to a 2.5L diesel engined vehicle. I have used it on several over peoples bikes and it works a treat.
The power pack is about a cm thick and a little longer and wider than a fag packet. The cables that plug into it will reack most car battery terminals so a bike battery is easy to connect to. You can charge a mobile from its USB connection and it has a bright LED torch built in.
Always carried in my little tool pack that transfers between bikes.

Just my tuppence.

Steve T

8-)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
McVicar

Post by McVicar »

chunky butt wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:46 pm Really interested in this. Clicked on link but I've got to register etc. Sooo can you just tell us make and model please and I'll search for it. Cheers Steve.
Just had a look on ebay for the one I bought and it's no longer there, but here's a link to the website of the people who were selling it on ebay. Still £21.60 but they charge postage.

https://www.workshopplus.co.uk/electric ... kshop-plus

Here's my experience copied from my post on the Versys forum

Well, I bought the same starter as in the original post for £21.60 inc delivery from ebay. Ordered it on Monday and it arrived via FedEx this morning, Thursday. When I opened the package I was very impressed by the quality of all the components. I think you would pay close to a tenner for the case alone. Tried to turn it on and it was dead as a dodo, nothing at all. Plugged it in and it immediately started to charge. Was up to 50% within 1 hour but waited for around 3 hours for 100% charge. Right, out to the garage. My wifes ER6 has not moved for about 3 years (since she bought an MX5). It was on an optimate smart charger and it always started until last winter when the battery gave up the ghost. Charged it off the bike two weeks ago and charged it until charger said it was fully charged. Put it back on the bike and lights came on speedo needles did there thing, whirring noise but wouldn't start. Just a clicking noise. Anyway, out to the garage with this little jump starter in my pocket, smaller than my mobile phone. Clipped it onto the battery and hey presto! it started up first time. What an amazing bit of kit for just over £20. Who knows how long it will last but so far I am very happy. Thank you OP for the heads up.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Bought one for a friend who kept on leaving interior lights on. Much the same as the one's above, but made sure that it could be charged by USB power, easier than lugging around another plug for charging it.
Last edited by Oop North John on Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

chunky butt wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:46 pm Really interested in this. Clicked on link but I've got to register etc. Sooo can you just tell us make and model please and I'll search for it. Cheers Steve.
It's for the bike, Steve, not you after a night out...
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Got one of those Noco Genius packs, starts a 2.something litre diesel no worries
Its a trick............get an Axe
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

I'm on my second one, different brands, the first one I killed leaving it on charge, melted the input because I left on a 3a usb charger and forgot about it, the second one is about dead now after over use, it's been out a fair few times and only rarely for me. But they will start a 2.5L diesel pickup just make sure the battery connections are tight on the truck otherwise you'll hit the current limiting on the unit, also the leads have a thermal fuse in them di don't just leave them cranking over and over on them otherwise you'll kill the leads.

My second one is a suaoki one and while not cheap has been excellent and only failed to start on vehicle and that was a ktm950 with the deadest of dead batteries.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Cheers Mc, for those of us with no kick start on our dirt bikes, this could be real handy.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Ive used sonething similar for a few years as my old ccm need starting lots as it was crap :lol: ...started petrol 2.0ltr cars znd a 1.5dci clio....byt it didnt like the 3.0 diesel nissan :lol: ..

The real trick steve aka chuncky is to make sure its charged up before you go out :D ....mine kepps 75% charged for months.....

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”