Tarps (ONLY) please ... Tents on another thread

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Peirre

Re: Tarps (ONLY) please ... Tents on another thread

Post by Peirre »

I currently use a modified 5m x 5m DD tarp that I’ve sewn extra webbing loops along the edges between the loops that came with it. It allows me to configure it better.
I’m having to resist the urge to buy a Warbonnet superfly To go with my travel hammock
https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/product/superfly/
SHarper

Post by SHarper »

4DE2A368-61FD-44AE-B1E5-B044F39D1BBB.jpeg
4DE2A368-61FD-44AE-B1E5-B044F39D1BBB.jpeg (155.34 KiB) Viewed 5315 times
0E93D13B-F4A0-45EE-9DBE-E3FAC04C2401.jpeg
0E93D13B-F4A0-45EE-9DBE-E3FAC04C2401.jpeg (189.82 KiB) Viewed 5315 times
Make shift tarping, waiting to cross to Piel Island, to get rid of the sag we went beach combing, hence the erection in the second photo. We had no idea who the cars belonged to.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

for me the tarp is a way of reducing load volume and weight, therefore I would not be carrying it in addition to a tent, I am not really a camper either I am on a bike ride needing to sleep somewhere, though camping especially the wild variation can put you in some cracking spots when you wake.
So just started dabbling with string,carabiners, tyvex? tarp and bivvy bags. I dont really want to be carrying poles so will improvise with tree,s bike etc. Note -Have seen some pics here with tarps tied off the sidestand side of bikes I would not like to sleep with a bike leaning over me with a bit of pipe and a bolt holding it up, especially not the orange ones, I know that the UK bike sidestands have a hammering compared to gateless Euro bikes but just an observation, more than once witnessed a bike parked for a gate to hear 2 clonks first the sidestand snapping then the bike falling . My tarp is a DD 2.9x3m lightweight too big really, may look at a smaller. The first pic was a real go and the first time I pulled it out of its bag second is a different method practice run.
DSC_0289.JPG
DSC_0289.JPG (75.34 KiB) Viewed 5306 times

not so professional uh
IMG_20200412_195712.jpg
IMG_20200412_195712.jpg (122.53 KiB) Viewed 5306 times
Both methods I could get under and sleep, with the second the topbox, boots, lid in a pile or whatever would create a little more head room.
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Great pics indeedy, cant wait for all this shite to be over and get out for some wild camping!
Monster

Post by Monster »

Wow - nearly a year will have passed since the comment above ^^^^^^ when we finally get out there

All our bikes will be shiny as new and full of all the bling we have fitted over lockdown ... if anyone had any spare cash

The first few weeks are going to be like Wacky Races .... be careful out there people

We may have forgotten how to ride, refuel, and even set up a tent
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
gbags

Post by gbags »

This is good stuff.

Can we have a couple of suggestions for brands of tarp and poles please.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I succumbed to the urge to buy a 13ft Warbonnet superfly tarp, and I have to say that it’s the best decision I’ve made, since then I’ve added a pair of tarp sleeves to allow quick deployment and take down
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

gbags wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:15 pm This is good stuff.

Can we have a couple of suggestions for brands of tarp and poles please.
my tarp is a a green nearly square bit of fabric seems reasonable quality, by the time you add a bit of string and a few alloy pegs it has a little weight but not much. It has little loops stitched on around the perimeter and a few others too, I would say at 2.9x3 m it is a little big for my basic dry weather sleeping needs, not had much experience so cant really say much more about it. It is I think a superlight from DD hammocks. If you have any specific questions I will try and answer them as a complete novice.
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

Peirre wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:43 am I succumbed to the urge to buy a 13ft Warbonnet superfly tarp, and I have to say that it’s the best decision I’ve made, since then I’ve added a pair of tarp sleeves to allow quick deployment and take down
Question.

What are "tarp sleeves", photo or link would be good.

Are the cheap Chinese fibre glass poles any good. There seem to be plenty on Ebay.

thanks

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
onefortheroad

Post by onefortheroad »

Good to see your Ontario flag displayed. I lived in the Milton and Campbellville for many years.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”