new tent alert

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
taxi driver

new tent alert

Post by taxi driver »

I'm having ti retire my old Coleman phad 3 tent as its getting to the end of its life and previous to that my old "wild country quasar' was a brilliant tent so any recommendations for decent and not pricey tent would be most welcome I know this is probably the most asked question I guess my budget would be £250 max preferably a pitch outer first style , im a bit out of touch with stuff at present
tuftywhite

Re: new tent alert

Post by tuftywhite »

Do you want it for motorcycling or mountaineering or both?

The Vango Omega comes in various size range. I have the 350 which I use on the motorbike as it's spacious, has room for getting changed and wet gear outside the sleeping area and pitches in one.

Also, Wild Country has now split their ranges. Terra Nova is their highest quality mountain tents whilst Wild Country is now their more reasonably priced range, it may be worth a look at those tents for something in the size you want if you don't want to spend the money on a new Quasar. I'm actually waiting for a run of flysheets so I can replace my Quasar flysheet. I've had the tent since 1992/3 and I think the UV got to it over the years. I had the groundsheet replaced a couple of years ago for about £70, so I'm not ready to give up on it just yet. :shock:

I hope you find the right tent, there are so many types, shapes and requirements that everyone has an opinion on their favourite. :)
taxi driver

Post by taxi driver »

its for motorcycling ill look at the tango as is I said I'm a bit out of touch with tents now although a lot of people seem to like alpkit stuff never tried it myself
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

Because I'd gone the mountaineering route, I'd always gone for Quasar, Solar and Voyager, with a Gore-Tex bivvy bag to complete the set.

It wasn't until I'd got completely fed up getting into a small mountain tent in wet bike gear, then shuffling around trying to get out of it and getting everything else wet in the process, I had a look at what others were using.

I like the Vango Omega 350. It's a 3 person tent, but it does pack down quite reasonably for the back of the bike. It's too big for winter camping as your body heat can't heat up the bedroom, so I got cold. I could have taken a bivvy bag aswell but last time I took the Solar (as I had somewhere to change) and was really warm.

Good luck with your search.
Last edited by tuftywhite on Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

tuftywhite wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:12 pm Because I'd gone the mountaineering route, I'd always gone for Quasar, Solar and Voyager, with a Gore-Tex bivvy bag to complete the set.

It was't until I'd got completely fed up getting into a small mountain tent in wet bike gear, then shuffling around trying to get out of it and getting everything else wet in the process, I had a look at what others were using.

I like the Vango Omega 350. It's a 3 person tent, but it does pack down quite reasonably for the back of the bike. It's too big for winter camping as your body heat can't heat up the bedroom, so I got cold. I could have taken a bivvy bag aswell but last time I took the Solar (as I had somewhere to change) and was really warm.

Good luck with your search.
I agree with everything in this post. I also use a 3 man tent and its great for those reasons. 7 kilos, but got aluminium poles and pegs for it and no about 5.5 kilos. Vango is a always a good tent.

In winter I use a smaller 2 man tunnel tent that still has a decent outer area I can sit in but the inside sleeping area is much smaller so I can stay warm at night.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
Monster

Post by Monster »

I have a North face Big Fat Frog tent ... bought from Millets when they had a good sale on
Tent UK_LI.jpg
Tent UK_LI.jpg (136.68 KiB) Viewed 6275 times
If I was buying another one now for biking ... I would have a serious look at the Berghaus 3.3 Peak Pro (under 3 kg I think)
There is a cheaper 3.3 (not Pro version) which is marginally heavier

There are plenty of sales on now as people can't leave the house ... but they can shop on-line

https://www.millets.co.uk/tents-camping ... -tent.html

The above tent has a 2 or 3 man versions. I like the lightweight and also the big porch area for storage or cooking when the weather is poor

I am sure there are many other good options - I like to have some space. I am sure there are smaller tents available
Also a tarp is quite handy as well ... weight and space depending of course

Have fun shopping. But tents can easily become an obsession!!
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
mr_diver

Post by mr_diver »

I'm a bit of a tent fanatic.

I'm also a fan of Vango. I have currently got:

Spirit 200+ good for 2 people and some gear but lowish height but I have spent a few wet evenings in there in realative comfort.
Decent porch on the + vershion, but you'll want the foot print if you want a ground sheet in the porch.
Packs small but buying again I'd get the 300+ as the pack size is similar.
Will fit in any decent pannier.
(Spirit name is now the Pulsar)

Banshee 200 great backpacking or solo biking tent. Packs tiny, little porch space, enough for bike boots, but your sleeping next to you bike gear. Don't try and sit up.
I also have the gear store to add a bit extra space to keep the panniers with the food/beer/cooking gear.
Will fit in any decent pannier.

Icarus 500DXL 5 man family tent. 16kg so not really a bike camping tent, but I did bring it home on the bike.

Gamma 300 bought for going camping in the car for the weekend where the 5 man tent is too much faff. Small pack size, but longer fiberglass poles means its more a tent for the back seat.
Not much porch space, but enough for the bike boots and a few other bits.
No pics, one set up once in garden.

Turini 200 motorbike tent. Like it has a 'gargae' to put the bike in... or leave the bike where it belongs and use the space as a living space. I can nearly stand up.
Lots of space, fits in my Givi V47 top box with not much else, but discontinued.

I've also got a couple of different Adventure tarps, Vango and iirc a coleman one.

I usually take at least one walking pole to prop up the door on the banshee as a very small canopy but I also use it for with the adventure tarps in different ways. They make decent sun shades as well as keeping the rain off.ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The Rantings of A Crazed Lunatic.

Monster

Post by Monster »

I can see a whole new thread coming along ... show me your tarp set up !!
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I have a Robens which is brilliant--also a Vango with elasticated end for a simple tent extension. I also have a giant Coleman with one big hoop thats like a paraglider--perfect for summer use but not so good in a strong wind(but I have configured two short poles that support the hoop near the sides and support it and stop it lozenging). I also use army Arctic tent poles--really short and strong aluminium--perfect for tarps--just needed to change the "spike" at the top for tarp eyelet size. You can also get some very good lightweight aluminium poles from China (search fleabay) which are also short (for the bike) and can be set up in two, three or four sections to change height--and also used at the 4 corners of a tarp to make a much more rigid structure not relying solely on guy tension to keep the shape. I also use those short elasticated truck type tarp tie downs with a ball direct to the tarp sides and then attach the guys to those. and that means that the tarp can flex a bit in the wind--works well----it takes time to develop but once set up makes camping on the road a pleasure. I would add that my tents are less than 3 kg and good quality and a tarp makes a big difference--and I also don't add much weight or bulk with a quality tarp.(2 small packages are better than one big one!)
taxi driver

Post by taxi driver »

just looked at the Berghaus pro 3 looks a really good ten t with plenty of room
\

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”