Meals on two wheels.

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Benson-1215

Meals on two wheels.

Post by Benson-1215 »

Here is my favourite travel meal
Quick cheap and filling.
Look what we found food pouches are getting harder to find last year Morrison's seem to be stocking a few varieties at about £1.50 added this to a microwave rice and you have a tasty meal which takes 10 minutes to cook.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

"I came into this world with nothing and with careful management
I still have most of it left'
daveuprite

Re: Meals on two wheels.

Post by daveuprite »

Should have picked a field without cows.

Not sure I'd be very happy if 'that's what I found' on my plate.... :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
chrisjk

Post by chrisjk »

You take a microwave with you??
Benson-1215

Post by Benson-1215 »

chrisjk wrote:You take a microwave with you??
No but I can read the instructions on a packet.

frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Benson-1215 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 10:47 pm Here is my favourite travel meal
Quick cheap and filling.
Look what we found food pouches are getting harder to find last year Morrison's seem to be stocking a few varieties at about £1.50 added this to a microwave rice and you have a tasty meal which takes 10 minutes to cook.ImageImageImage

I have been taking these on trips (not the same ones,i do eat them!) for many years. They are tasty and filling and a good standby for when you just want to set up camp and can,t be arsed with the supermarket. Or if you are in France on a Sunday :lol: :lol: :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

frenchy3 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 7:47 am Or if you are in France on a Sunday :lol: :lol: :lol:
So true.

Well... actually, in the 11 years we've lived here things have changed quite a bit. Lidl, Aldi and the big supermarkets all open on Sunday now. You're very lucky to find any local boulangeries open though.

I didn't mean to be disparaging of these packet meals. As said above, if there's nothing fresher available and you're tired and in the middle of nowhere a plate of hot chilli is just the ticket.
Benson-1215

Post by Benson-1215 »

Benson-1215 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:34 am
chrisjk wrote:You take a microwave with you??
No but I can read the instructions on a packet.

To be fair the microwave rice with a dash of water has to be mixed in the chilli to soften it up. The best result is put the chilli pouch in the rolling boiling water for 5 mins (only a small cut to let the steam out) add a boil in the bag rice and in ten more minutes the rice is cooked and the chilli is pipping hot.
It's also possible to pour the rice in the bag mix it all up and save on washing a plate or bowl.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

I normally put a smidge of water in the bottom of the pan, put the rice in, get it up to the boil & then pour the chilli/whatever in & continue cooking for a couple of minutes.

I did find with those packets that they're quite "thin" and a couple were needed.

I'm a firm fan of the Stagg Chilli in a tin, some of the Tesco curries in a tin & there are some foul looking but fair tasting "Full English" concoctions in a tin!!

Pricewise, you'll pay £5 for a boil in the bag from Go Outdoors, or £1 for a Tesco nasty Jalfrezi in a tin.

I even carry them in my rucksack on DofE (not fussed about the 20g weight of the tin).

D
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Great stuff and real tasty. Lived on this stuff on my trip up to the Nordkapp and back in 2016. Took the full set and mixed with either quick cook pasta or quick cook rice. In fact filled one pannier with food before leaving the UK, and only needed to buy bread and fruit enroute. Actually got the tip re this stuff on this site back then.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I've long been a fan of the "Look what we found" meals, but like most, have found them to be under sized when it comes to portions! :lol:

These days I am sponsored by my son....
IMG_20190526_214010366.jpg
IMG_20190526_214010366.jpg (64.77 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
I am sure one or two of you here will recognise the bags! They are often the same as the Wayfarer meals and contain more in them than the LWWF, bags... The puddings are weird but stuffed with calories

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”