LoneRider semi rigid soft panniers

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
brownie0486
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:38 pm
Has thanked: 9 times

LoneRider semi rigid soft panniers

Post by brownie0486 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:11 pm

https://www.lonerider-motorcycle.com/products/motobags

I bought a pair and had them installed a few months ago. 38L on muffler side, 45L on the other side so they are symmetrical. Made of Hypalon, the same material US Navy SEAL attack rafts are made of. Highly abrasion resistant and fully waterproof.

I had a get off a few days before Xmas on a rock ledge, when I got home and pressure washed the bags, not even a mark on the left side bag on the side it went down. I'm impressed, to say the least,

Check out some of the vids on that site. The throw a bike with the bags off a moving truck and drag it for some ways, bags suffer no damage. I know of no other soft luggage capable of this.
20181217_132556.jpg
20181217_132556.jpg (86 KiB) Viewed 5516 times

Adventure Bike Rider New Issue Out Now
brownie0486
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:38 pm
Has thanked: 9 times

Re: LoneRider semi rigid soft panniers

Post by brownie0486 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:13 am

More pics with the Vario top box.
20190112_122940.jpg
20190112_122940.jpg (73.68 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
Attachments
20190112_122800.jpg
20190112_122800.jpg (80.97 KiB) Viewed 5405 times

brownie0486
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:38 pm
Has thanked: 9 times

Re: LoneRider semi rigid soft panniers

Post by brownie0486 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:58 am

Heard back from Lone Rider. They tested the bags to 60#'s each, but recommend weight be kept to 30#'s per bag.

Up to 100#'s can safely strapped to the top of each bag. Two poly 30-40L bags, one sitting on each pannier, I'll not have to take a top box.

OnHellas
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:12 pm
Location: By the sea, Kent, UK
Has thanked: 376 times
Been thanked: 763 times

Re: LoneRider semi rigid soft panniers

Post by OnHellas » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:36 am

brownie0486 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:58 am
Heard back from Lone Rider. They tested the bags to 60#'s each, but recommend weight be kept to 30#'s per bag.

Up to 100#'s can safely strapped to the top of each bag. Two poly 30-40L bags, one sitting on each pannier, I'll not have to take a top box.
That’s great that Lone Rider got back to you with some guidance. Good to know a supplier is there to help after a purchase has been made. It sounds like they’re sturdy bags, I’m not sure that we get them in the U.K.

When you type 30#’s do you mean 30lbs? or 30kg?

I’m guessing lbs.....then you can strap an additional 100lbs to the top of each bag? Really? Or is that a typo? That seems to be a hell of a lot of weight and if it’s KG’s......gulp.

brownie0486
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:38 pm
Has thanked: 9 times

Re: LoneRider semi rigid soft panniers

Post by brownie0486 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:00 am

OnHellas wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:36 am
brownie0486 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:58 am
Heard back from Lone Rider. They tested the bags to 60#'s each, but recommend weight be kept to 30#'s per bag.

Up to 100#'s can safely strapped to the top of each bag. Two poly 30-40L bags, one sitting on each pannier, I'll not have to take a top box.
That’s great that Lone Rider got back to you with some guidance. Good to know a supplier is there to help after a purchase has been made. It sounds like they’re sturdy bags, I’m not sure that we get them in the U.K.

When you type 30#’s do you mean 30lbs? or 30kg?

I’m guessing lbs.....then you can strap an additional 100lbs to the top of each bag? Really? Or is that a typo? That seems to be a hell of a lot of weight and if it’s KG’s......gulp.
yes, US pounds and the 100 pound limit was max they'd tested the racks to and apparently stopped there. I can't see putting more than 20-30 pounds on top of them per bag and only if two up, otherwise dry bags strapped to the rear seat area.

OnHellas
Posts: 2361
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:12 pm
Location: By the sea, Kent, UK
Has thanked: 376 times
Been thanked: 763 times

Re: LoneRider semi rigid soft panniers

Post by OnHellas » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:19 am

brownie0486 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:00 am
OnHellas wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:36 am
brownie0486 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:58 am
Heard back from Lone Rider. They tested the bags to 60#'s each, but recommend weight be kept to 30#'s per bag.

Up to 100#'s can safely strapped to the top of each bag. Two poly 30-40L bags, one sitting on each pannier, I'll not have to take a top box.
That’s great that Lone Rider got back to you with some guidance. Good to know a supplier is there to help after a purchase has been made. It sounds like they’re sturdy bags, I’m not sure that we get them in the U.K.

When you type 30#’s do you mean 30lbs? or 30kg?

I’m guessing lbs.....then you can strap an additional 100lbs to the top of each bag? Really? Or is that a typo? That seems to be a hell of a lot of weight and if it’s KG’s......gulp.
yes, US pounds and the 100 pound limit was max they'd tested the racks to and apparently stopped there. I can't see putting more than 20-30 pounds on top of them per bag and only if two up, otherwise dry bags strapped to the rear seat area.
Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it must be lbs.

Where’s your next trip to?

brownie0486
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:38 pm
Has thanked: 9 times

Re: LoneRider semi rigid soft panniers

Post by brownie0486 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:23 pm

I'm planning a National Parks tour of Utah, Colorado and New Mexico in May. 2020 will see my taking another trip to the Arctic circle like last summer.

I think where hardly anyone had a clue what weight soft bags could hold safely on several sites, this information may give someone else a starting point for their soft bags.

brownie0486
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:38 pm
Has thanked: 9 times

Re: LoneRider semi rigid soft panniers

Post by brownie0486 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:30 pm

Full time gear in the bags,
38L=13#'s
45L 13#'s.
Supplemental supplies for a long trip I want in the bags and are set aside ready to be loaded weighs 14#s bringing each bag total to just about 20#. That suggests I can load another 10#'s each bag for 30# total per side. 10#'s more in each means I don't have to strap a second roll top dry bag to the passenger seat, thus reducing the higher loaded gear weight for better overall handling.

I appreciate those who've taken the time to respond with their thoughts. As I now know LR suggests staying with 30#'s each but tested to 60#'s each, I'm much more comfortable with how I want to load the bike for a trip like I made to Ak. last summer.

Thanks again for all the input

brownie0486
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:38 pm
Has thanked: 9 times

Re: LoneRider semi rigid soft panniers

Post by brownie0486 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:11 pm

I've worked up the numbers for mine in US pounds. 2012 R1200GS

Max weight = 992
Left bag=30
right bag=30
racks=22
me=180
passenger=125
bike=525
camping gear=23
_____________________________________________
935 pounds total. If I'm solo, only 810. Give or take another 20 pounds leeway just to be safe and I'm still below max weight. Being able to go from max 44#'s in the Varios to 60#'s in the Lone Riders gets rid of the blue dry bag where the passenger seat would be. Lower COG, less drag and 18.4% under max weight one up and 5.8% under max weight two up.

When you've taken a trip, how close are you to max weight in gear? Does it matter?

brownie0486
Posts: 27
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:38 pm
Has thanked: 9 times

Re: LoneRider semi rigid soft panniers

Post by brownie0486 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:54 am

Update, the GS1200 LR racks weigh 3.5#'s per. The bags weight 13#'s each, total for racks and bags=33#'s.

Update after hearing from Andrew at Lone Rider

Max weight = 992
Left bag=30
right bag=30
racks=7
me=180
passenger=125+10 in gear/kit
bike=525
camping gear=23
Bags empty=13 per

946#'s total, 36#'s below stated gvw on the 12GS1200. 3.6% below recommended max weight on bike. Close, but there's room to spare in the bags.

Andrew stated each bag was tested to 60#'s of kit, but LR recommends 30# max per which I'll hold to or below. Riding one up, I'll be 17% below recommended max weight. It's unlikely I'll have a passenger, but needed to figure that number into whether I'd be over or at recommended gvw.

Post Reply

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 71 guests