Lomo Panniers.

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
catcitrus

Re: Lomo Panniers.

Post by catcitrus »

daryl wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:21 am Too cheap not to order a pair.

Will report back mid July after a 2.5 week trip to Italy
So whats in Italy Daryl?--touristy stuff?--not sure about trails?--my experience has been that they don't do camping, except on the coast. I used the Ortleibs for my trip to the Dordogne this year--and they give you a soft landing too if you tipple over!--they do what they say on the tin--and particularly helped by the inner plastic that keeps the form and the rigid foam on the inside where they bear against the pannier rails--had to improvise on the strapping because the pannier frames were slightly too far apart, but did the trip no problem(used them for Bulgaria last year also)--and kept the thunderstorms out!--good travels!
daryl

Post by daryl »

catcitrus wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:14 am So whats in Italy Daryl?--touristy stuff?--not sure about trails?--my experience has been that they don't do camping, except on the coast. I used the Ortleibs for my trip to the Dordogne this year--and they give you a soft landing too if you tipple over!--they do what they say on the tin--and particularly helped by the inner plastic that keeps the form and the rigid foam on the inside where they bear against the pannier rails--had to improvise on the strapping because the pannier frames were slightly too far apart, but did the trip no problem(used them for Bulgaria last year also)--and kept the thunderstorms out!--good travels!
I'm tagging along with a few others from here to an LC8 Rally ( after which my plan gets a bit fuzzy. I might do the Stella Alpina before exploring the Alps a bit, or maybe just head east on the TET towards Slovenia before turning left and battering across Germany to come home.
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

I'm a fan of Lomo whose bags offer incredible value and total contents dryness. My two £28 dry bags with roll-tops survived unscathed over a recent 15k km trip and nothing got wet, in spite of some torrential rains. Their riding glasses also offer great value at £12, complete with 3 pairs of interchangeable lenses - clear, dark and twilight.
daryl

Post by daryl »

Well that was quick.
Panniers.jpg
Panniers.jpg (129.6 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
So far they look great, as expected.

My only gripe (and it's completely minor) is that the hooks on the strap designed to attach the bottom of the bag are a bit chintzy and I'm not sure how long they'll hold up, especially off road.
Strap.jpg
Strap.jpg (95.14 KiB) Viewed 7017 times
Nothing a cheap set of bungee cords won't fix though, and certainly nothing that would stop me recommending them.

edit: photo uploading went funny.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Look good Daryl how wide are they?
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

okay...mine arrived today and as ive got the ortlieb motorcycle panniers too a comparrison for anyone interested :roll: :lol:

the lomo are the same quality just minus the pastic insert to keep shape...but when the bags have stuffin it dont matter

the lomo are the same width and height just 25% longer as I transfered one panjier contenets from ortlieb to the lomo and had room for my clothes and evening shoes :o ...bonus me thinks...

the lomo dont have the ortlieb back protector as heat shield and dont have the document zip compartment either....dont bother me as a zip bag does the same thing...

the lomo straps are longer and has 2 across the top of each bag so maybe able to carry a seat or small drybag on top ...the ortlieb only has 1 strap...

i added 2 van tie down clips to the ortliebs with silicone and backing plates ...never leaked or riped off on the trails....nowt hard to add to the lomo..

so for the bargin money they are ace and for folks who like soft luggage on non extreme trail rides or euro trips they will be excellent...

happy biker and a huge thanks to lomo for following it through...the price willl surely increase as they sell fast....

i use reusable zip ties to hold luggage to pannier frames that way in a off they snap and bags flap ...also handy on gates or posts you forgot about...cheap off ebay
daryl

Post by daryl »

Tramp wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:23 pm i use reusable zip ties to hold luggage to pannier frames that way in a off they snap and bags flap ...also handy on gates or posts you forgot about...cheap off ebay
Why didn't I think of that, I stocked up from Lidl the last time they had them.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

LOMO panniers (2).JPG
LOMO panniers (2).JPG (92.39 KiB) Viewed 6857 times
Attachments
LOMO panniers (1).JPG
LOMO panniers (1).JPG (116.9 KiB) Viewed 6858 times
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

DPD seems to have lost mine "aaaron has been delayed" hmmm......

Thats a strange place for a lock where have you got it routed?
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

its a long cable and goes through a few things---anyway--here's another pic. I'm well impressed with them--nice straps--long and a big fat centre one. I had to add an old hover mower handle to the stock pannier frames to give some flap support--but just three bolts and its off--the stock panniers look cool but are crap--they leak, they are small--and when a lock failed I found out that they were virtually irrepairable as the complex mechanism is bulky and behind a riveted inner. I now open and close the failed one with a bent screwdriver--and you would never know! My ortliebs also fit--but are shorter and suffer from the straps really being too short--especially a problem if you have BMW type pannier loops--the ortliebs will be confined to my WR250R and Kawa super sherpa. The LOMOs look cavernous in comparison. By the way I have a HD set of Oxford sports panniers for sale (cheap)--little used, expandable and with all the extras--BUT THEY ARE IN RED so don't go with any of my bikes!
LOMO panniers (3).JPG
LOMO panniers (3).JPG (112.46 KiB) Viewed 6820 times

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”