Lomo Panniers.

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Tramp

Re: Lomo Panniers.

Post by Tramp »

Agree they are excellent value ...do look huge on a enduro though but saves me taking the roll top bag :lol: so more room for my ass :o ...

can you post a picture of the sports panniers as a mate with a suzuki gs1000 may buy them...new thread obviuosly ;)
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Fitted them to my DR650 they do look good but I will have to work a solution out for the bottom mounting as the straps provided just wont work with the side racks and the loops are a tad small for getting the roc-straps I have

Tramp

Post by Tramp »

I have 2 mounts front and rear on my pannier loops where the xlips on soft panniers line up then simple zip tie... I use the metal tiedown mounts used in many small pannel vans... Can be found on ebay and use a mushroom head hex bolt through each with a penny washer....
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

catcitrus wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:32 pm its a long cable and goes through a few things---anyway--here's another pic. I'm well impressed with them--nice straps--long and a big fat centre one. I had to add an old hover mower handle to the stock pannier frames to give some flap support--but just three bolts and its off--the stock panniers look cool but are crap--they leak, they are small--and when a lock failed I found out that they were virtually irrepairable as the complex mechanism is bulky and behind a riveted inner. I now open and close the failed one with a bent screwdriver--and you would never know! My ortliebs also fit--but are shorter and suffer from the straps really being too short--especially a problem if you have BMW type pannier loops--the ortliebs will be confined to my WR250R and Kawa super sherpa. The LOMOs look cavernous in comparison. By the way I have a HD set of Oxford sports panniers for sale (cheap)--little used, expandable and with all the extras--BUT THEY ARE IN RED so don't go with any of my bikes!LOMO panniers (3).JPG
I think they look excellent, and for the money are great value......if I didn't have my giant loop I'd certainly have some :D
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

They do look great value , bit on the big side unless your riding big bike , trouble is the bigger the panniers the more crap you carry , that said looks like they will be very popular !!!
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

chunky butt wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:45 pm
catcitrus wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:32 pm its a long cable and goes through a few things---anyway--here's another pic. I'm well impressed with them--nice straps--long and a big fat centre one. I had to add an old hover mower handle to the stock pannier frames to give some flap support--but just three bolts and its off--the stock panniers look cool but are crap--they leak, they are small--and when a lock failed I found out that they were virtually irrepairable as the complex mechanism is bulky and behind a riveted inner. I now open and close the failed one with a bent screwdriver--and you would never know! My ortliebs also fit--but are shorter and suffer from the straps really being too short--especially a problem if you have BMW type pannier loops--the ortliebs will be confined to my WR250R and Kawa super sherpa. The LOMOs look cavernous in comparison. By the way I have a HD set of Oxford sports panniers for sale (cheap)--little used, expandable and with all the extras--BUT THEY ARE IN RED so don't go with any of my bikes!LOMO panniers (3).JPG
I think they look excellent, and for the money are great value......if I didn't have my giant loop I'd certainly have some :D
I also have a Giant Loop--but it suits narrow assed bikes and doesn't fit well when they have pannier frames etc--I know--I'm spoilt for choice!!--but these things don't wear out really, and they are always there when you need them--at 50 quid its a bargain. I've just spent about 3 hours adding 5 cm wide extra velcro straps to my Ortliebs to lengthen them (over the top of the existing ones which only have about a 2 inch overlap when sitting on the Yam pannier frames)--involved taking out the strap mounting screws and some HD sewing--but worth it as they now mount as they should.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Tramp wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:01 pm I have 2 mounts front and rear on my pannier loops where the xlips on soft panniers line up then simple zip tie... I use the metal tiedown mounts used in many small pannel vans... Can be found on ebay and use a mushroom head hex bolt through each with a penny washer....
Yes I have them with zip ties at the moment but as they are "removable" was looking for something that I could just clip or sinch on to the Happy Trail rack to hold them down but still quick release.
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

I have some Lomo gear and it's ok. In my experience though, if the gear arrives ok then fine but if you have any problems with it, you're on your own.

I bought a pair of gloves from them and within a week the stitching started to unravel. I emailed them and their answer was "get some nylon thread and you should be able to repair them" :shock:

So I won't be going there again.
daryl

Post by daryl »

Ok, I'm back from 2600 miles to Italy and home via some French TET.

I'm pleased to say the panniers worked great, with the only (cosmetic) damage being where I scraped them on a wall on one of the balcony roads in France. Beyond some high denier cordura or similar fabric, I'm not sure what would have helped though.

The survived a few small drops on the dirt without incident, but I wouldn't want to slide them down a gravel road too far at high speed.

I used reusable cable ties instead of the supplied bottom straps as mentioned previously and a ROK strap around each bag to prevent bouncing.

Ready for the off
before.jpg
before.jpg (116.54 KiB) Viewed 6394 times
somewhere mid TET
tet.jpg
tet.jpg (88.71 KiB) Viewed 6394 times
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Well done Daryl--I got a pair to run on the Triumph Tiger--the stock panniers look good but are crap at holding anything. I like the long and substantial velcro flaps that run over the top of the seat. I had to add an old lawnmower handle to provide something for them to swing/attach to--just 3 bolts and quick---and like you used Lidl's reusable HD cable ties to hold everything in place. I went to the ABR Festival and took a big 3 man coleman tent, tarp, cooking stuff etc--and even a decent sized washing up bowl went in one pannier and "squared it up"--and possibly a good tip because you can pack the bowl with all kinds of stuff and simply slot it in the pannier--and it will also prevent the contents from a tipple over and squash.. I managed to pack much more than I can usually carry and they were NARROWER than the plastic fantastic stock handbags, and very easy to put on and take off. However, I think that on a smaller 250 they might be a little long and get in the way of my legs so I'll stick to my Ortleibs for that. I note the "made in China" label but so far they seem excellent value and fit for purpose.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”