Slumit tents, worth it?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
SSchultz
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:24 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Slumit tents, worth it?

Post by SSchultz » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:34 am

Anyone using one, are they any good? I know, another tent thread :roll:

Looking for a replacement for my trusty Vango Omega250 , fast pitch time most important -life's too short to spend time lining up poles.

Pre-order your limited edition ABR T-shirts
Moorso
Posts: 923
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:04 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Slumit tents, worth it?

Post by Moorso » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:37 am

I use a Slumit Cub and am a big fan. Very easy to put up and take down. They are a longer pack size on the back of the bike, but not by that much.

When it comes time to replace it with a new one, it'll be another Slumit for me.
YouTube: MoorsoP
Twitter: @MoorsoP
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Editing my 2nd book: 'Hibernia; Journals from a Motorcycle'
Columnist for the Ulster Grand Prix

catcitrus
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:36 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 246 times

Re: Slumit tents, worth it?

Post by catcitrus » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:13 am

Moorso wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:37 am
I use a Slumit Cub and am a big fan. Very easy to put up and take down. They are a longer pack size on the back of the bike, but not by that much.

When it comes time to replace it with a new one, it'll be another Slumit for me.
I have the ORIGINAL Kyham igloo--not the nasty "bikers" half way house--a good solid tent--but too bulky for most bike trips.(I have a couple of others for that--Blacks and a Terra Nova.
From what I've seen of the Slummits they are ok--but not for windy conditions--the poles give out.

SSchultz
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:24 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Slumit tents, worth it?

Post by SSchultz » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:30 pm

Moorso wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:37 am
I use a Slumit Cub and am a big fan. Very easy to put up and take down.
How long did you have it for and how often used it? Looked at the Cub 2 a few years ago but then decided to go for the Vango instead.

Hoped they will have come with an improved version / design after all these years but no, everything looks the same :)

Moorso
Posts: 923
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:04 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Slumit tents, worth it?

Post by Moorso » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:58 pm

Hi

I've had it for about 4-5 years now.
I don't use it that often (5/6 biking weekends a year). But I have used it in all weathers (they recommend wrapping the guy rope once around the poles if you're expecting winds and by doing that I've never had any issues).

The reason I actually went for one initially was after an incident in a camp site where I was faffing with poles and had developed a midge 'beard'. The wee b**tards ate me alive. I vowed to never struggle with poles again! I have subsequently been in the Slumit laughing as the same thing has happened to others.

It's fair to say that you're never going to climb Everest or explore the polar regions with a Slumit, but for the occasional biking weekend away I wouldn't have anything else.
YouTube: MoorsoP
Twitter: @MoorsoP
Web: www.alternate-road.blogspot.co.uk/

Author of: 'Valhalla and the Fjörd'
Editing my 2nd book: 'Hibernia; Journals from a Motorcycle'
Columnist for the Ulster Grand Prix

SSchultz
Posts: 288
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:24 pm
Has thanked: 4 times

Re: Slumit tents, worth it?

Post by SSchultz » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:45 pm

Thanks, just the review I was looking for.

I camp in Scotland a lot as well, you say it keeps the midges away successfully but I just found this review on the Cub2 on ebay:

"The netting isnt fine enough to stop midges and being from Scotland its pretty much useless to me love the tent design and quality just a shame about the netting ill keep it for winter"

So I'm stuck again :))

Tremain1
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:11 pm
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Slumit tents, worth it?

Post by Tremain1 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:45 pm

not for me

i had the two man - just for me.

Great putting it up and simple

Only used it three times and when I was on the Wales Weekended the fiberglass poles bent and started to splinter

I had to gaffa tape some coat hangers to keep it up.


Maybe i just had a rogue one !

CT

catcitrus
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:36 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 246 times

Re: Slumit tents, worth it?

Post by catcitrus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:50 am

Tremain1 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:45 pm
not for me

i had the two man - just for me.

Great putting it up and simple

Only used it three times and when I was on the Wales Weekended the fiberglass poles bent and started to splinter

I had to gaffa tape some coat hangers to keep it up.


Maybe i just had a rogue one !

CT
I remember that weekend--I was next to you--and my Blacks 3 hoop tunnel stood up well--and really only takes 4 corner pegs and three poles pushed in from the same side to get it up--and packs in about half the size, length and weight--and its a 3 man with big vestibule--you get what you pay for--quality aluminium poles and ripstop, siliconised fabric.

sprintster
Posts: 2866
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:49 pm
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Slumit tents, worth it?

Post by sprintster » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:45 pm

catcitrus wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:50 am
Tremain1 wrote:
Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:45 pm
not for me

i had the two man - just for me.

Great putting it up and simple

Only used it three times and when I was on the Wales Weekended the fiberglass poles bent and started to splinter

I had to gaffa tape some coat hangers to keep it up.


Maybe i just had a rogue one !

CT
I remember that weekend--I was next to you--and my Blacks 3 hoop tunnel stood up well--and really only takes 4 corner pegs and three poles pushed in from the same side to get it up--and packs in about half the size, length and weight--and its a 3 man with big vestibule--you get what you pay for--quality aluminium poles and ripstop, siliconised fabric.
Judging by your description Catcitrus,that sounds the same as my Berghaus Peak 3.3.Berghaus,Blacks and Millets are all the same company. I haven't actually tried it yet but put up in the garden it looks like a quality tent for the money.Usually selling for about £120-£140,it's worth watching Millets and Blacks Ebay listings,I got mine for £84....an absolute bargain for that price I think. :)
Attachments
03002136.jpg
03002136.jpg (105.96 KiB) Viewed 5207 times

catcitrus
Posts: 1716
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:36 pm
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 246 times

Re: Slumit tents, worth it?

Post by catcitrus » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:17 pm

looks the same--mines Orange!--been perfect over a lot of trips and extreme weather--used on my trip to Bulgaria and back, the Round house camp and so on.

Post Reply

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests