Hard or soft luggage?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
V-Rider

Hard or soft luggage?

Post by V-Rider »

Looking at the possibility of selling my hard luggage set up on my 950 Adventure... Not even sure of its worth? It's a full set of 3 Jesse panniers and top box.
I'm tempted by the lighter weight and flexibility offered with soft luggage, as the bike is very bulky and fully laden is not the most confidence inspiring off road.
I'd love to see everyone's soft luggage set-ups (950/990 ADV more than anything) and thoughts on what to use? Whether multiple smaller bags stacked side-by-side as panniers or larger ones, or even loops?
Thoughts please! (thumbs)
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
BobH

Re: Hard or soft luggage?

Post by BobH »

Just swapped from Magadans on my 990 to a set of the new Kriega OS 32 panniers. They look very well made and have the advantage of quickly taking off the frames and don't need to have straps over the seat when you need to get it off to reach the tool kit. taking them out next week for a week around Scotland before a longer trip abroad in a couple of months. They maintain their shape when packed too. So far so good.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

Liking the look of the OS32 panniers, look a solid bit of kit!
Liking some of the pictures too, looks like they're quite 'modular' in the sense that you can add further small bags onto the top / sides of them. Interesting!
"It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end."
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

Hadn't thought about soft panniers before those os-32's look pretty cool though :) look forward to seeing some pictures
BobH

Post by BobH »

IMG_0402.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG (67.71 KiB) Viewed 4128 times
IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0401.JPG (56.59 KiB) Viewed 4128 times
Just put the panniers on to see shape and size, will take some during trip once fully loaded
paul_tim2000

Post by paul_tim2000 »

Hard luggage gives (me) a sense of security and a deterrent against casual theft, soft luggage can be less bulky.
I've a big pair of Givi (46l?) panniers I use if I need to carry a lot of stuff but also have a pair of thinner (22L) hard cases I prefer to use when touring solo (the Stelvio is wide enough without me making filtering even more difficult). Also have a brilliant soft luggage system made by Gearsack which is soft panniers which can zip to a tailpack but rarely use it these days.
V-Rider

Post by V-Rider »

BobH wrote:Just swapped from Magadans on my 990 to a set of the new Kriega OS 32 panniers. They look very well made and have the advantage of quickly taking off the frames and don't need to have straps over the seat when you need to get it off to reach the tool kit. taking them out next week for a week around Scotland before a longer trip abroad in a couple of months. They maintain their shape when packed too. So far so good.
Bob, which frames did you fit the panniers to? Is it a universal fitment, or do you need a specific type of frame to fit them? I did see you have a sort of adaptor plate to lash the onto, but didn't know what type of rack that plate actually fits on!
BobH

Post by BobH »

V-Rider wrote:
BobH wrote:
Bob, which frames did you fit the panniers to? Is it a universal fitment, or do you need a specific type of frame to fit them? I did see you have a sort of adaptor plate to lash the onto, but didn't know what type of rack that plate actually fits on!
I have the original frames for the plastic panniers so used the universal fit platform https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/343371. If you check the Kriega website you will see the other platform for SW Motech type frames.
bowber

Post by bowber »

I use a Jofama throw over thingy, if I think I'll need more security then I fit my top box and leave it reasonably empty so I can put my helmet and coat in while visiting attractions etc.
Steve
Beepee

Post by Beepee »

I've just bought the os32 kit as well for my 990. Haven't used it yet. Looks great and certainly more compact than the big H&B panniers.
I've got loads of Kriega items and never a complaint with them.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”