Chain when touring

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Mike54

Chain when touring

Post by Mike54 »

Do you take a decent chain (like an almax) when in europe on a tour (road bikes not dirt bikes). If so which and if not what security do you use?

I ask because when I was in switzerland last year it was very apparent that security of any kind wasnt at all required. Moto dealers with bikes and quads left outside all night without any kind of security at all, you could have just pushed them away, yet in France one day I chased off two guys who were messing with one of the bikes.

This time we're in Switzerland, Italian Lakes and Austria, hopefully avoiding dodgy places but one never knows. We use xena alam disc locks as a basic minimum if not using a chain, but my issue with a chain is now I have an S1000XR, there is nowhere through the frame a heavy chain will fit, only through wheels
JJay51

Re: Chain when touring

Post by JJay51 »

I'vce only ever taken a heavy duty padlock to go on the front and rear disc and a decent thickness wire cable type lock to lock the bike to something via the wheel or round the forks
Alan29

Post by Alan29 »

Disk lock is all I use.
So far so good.
If they really want the bike they will find a way of taking it.
johnnyboxer

Chain when touring

Post by johnnyboxer »

Mike54 wrote:Do you take a decent chain (like an almax) when in europe on a tour (road bikes not dirt bikes). If so which and if not what security do you use?

I ask because when I was in switzerland last year it was very apparent that security of any kind wasnt at all required. Moto dealers with bikes and quads left outside all night without any kind of security at all, you could have just pushed them away, yet in France one day I chased off two guys who were messing with one of the bikes.

This time we're in Switzerland, Italian Lakes and Austria, hopefully avoiding dodgy places but one never knows. We use xena alam disc locks as a basic minimum if not using a chain, but my issue with a chain is now I have an S1000XR, there is nowhere through the frame a heavy chain will fit, only through wheels
I do - on my 1150 GSA

In a lock bag & strapped on my pillion seat

If the bikes are garaged at the hotel I don't use it

However when parked out overnight I put it through the front Telelever arm and wheel & keep it well off the ground

If poss I put it through the Telelever and a solid post or railings

Can't remember the make but it has a cylindrical spinning padlock that is hard to break

Always carried a chain for last 20 years on tour & is ready to deploy if the hotel hasn't got a garage etc
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

Oxford alarm disc lock
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Don't need any security in these parts. Bike theft isn't a problem, but helmet theft is. I see a lot of bikes with a helmet chained to the bike and nothing on the discs or wheels.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Depends where your staying overnight. Secure parking or left in the street. Reckon it depends on your outlook on life.
A little thought for you to think about.
A bike thief can be over three boarders in about three hours :woohoo:
I personally never bother and choose accommodation with secure parking where I can. If in a big group you only need a couple of chains to do four bikes.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

AlanHolt wrote:Don't need any security in these parts. Bike theft isn't a problem, but helmet theft is. I see a lot of bikes with a helmet chained to the bike and nothing on the discs or wheels.
Very true, but in cities lots of bikes parked together can be a bit misleading as sometimes after 21.00 when many people finish work you'r bike might be all on its lonesome ...

Regs

simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Just put a sign on it Mike saying this owners bite is worse than his bark :laugh: :laugh:
bowber

Post by bowber »

I chain mine and my wifes bikes together, it's only a deterrent for casual theft, anyone serious will be away with them whatever you do.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”