Taking knife in luggage on ferries?....

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
fergusbrady

Re: Taking knife in luggage on ferries?....

Post by fergusbrady »

Thanks for the advice all, I think I'll probably just risk it and keep the knife with other obvious camping gear in my boxes. It hardly looks offensive with 'Bear Grylls' printed down the side!
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public.
The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.
Which can include Leatherman and Gerber type multitools. I asked a friendly local copper about this once, because as a Farmer, I have a Leatherman on me at all times in it's pouch as it is for me, an essential piece of work equipment.

Strict letter of the law in the UK was that I could be busted for carrying a lock knife, but it is very unlikely that the CPS would take action, and even more unlikely for a prosecution to be successful. I will carry on carrying and using my multitool.... :whistle:
Brads

Post by Brads »

Lock knives are not illegal to be carried in public if you have a good reason.

That list on the first page is a bit wrong as well. Plenty on that list are legal. Including sword sticks, and samuri swords.

Anyway, none of that is relevant to the OP.

You can safely take a knife in your luggage on the ferry.
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
Ktmbrock

Post by Ktmbrock »

Nice knife , I bought the same knife last week at go outdoors ,at £32 I thought I I'd have one
Mr K

Post by Mr K »

We were in Spain and they had knives and guns on display in a petrol station/café/supermarket.
My mate bought a knife and the guy behind the counter and I were comparing our pocket knives (no that is not a euphemism).
I also posses a large machete that was purchased in a German service station.
Can't see that happening in the UK.
As has been said, keep anything more than a penknife in your luggage, with cooking items or tools.

:)
kito

Post by kito »

A few months ago in guyana a doctor asked me if I carry a knife. I showed him my folding gerber . He wasn't to impressed then pulled one out his back pocket twice the size n recommended I get a bigger one haha. Me an a mate crossed the border from French guyana to suriname an me mate had a 2 foot machete straped to the outside of his backpack and it didn't even raise an eyebrow .
Only place I have ever been asked about a knife was in Kazakhstan . They also asked if I had a gun or hand grenades but they was just wankers after a bribe
I have walked into a town centre from work plenty of times with my tool belt on with a hammer an chisels n knifes hanging out an the police have never said anything. I guess so long as ur not being a dick or causing trouble it's usually ok
smudger272

Post by smudger272 »

I bought a 2 foot long machete back from the USA last year I love it
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

I have a Laguoile knife similar to those Opinels posted above and I've never had an issue on cross channel ferries or the tunnel.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
gbags

Post by gbags »

kito wrote:A few months ago in guyana a doctor asked me if I carry a knife. I showed him my folding gerber . He wasn't to impressed then pulled one out his back pocket twice the size n recommended I get a bigger one haha. Me an a mate crossed the border from French guyana to suriname an me mate had a 2 foot machete straped to the outside of his backpack and it didn't even raise an eyebrow .
Only place I have ever been asked about a knife was in Kazakhstan . They also asked if I had a gun or hand grenades but they was just wankers after a bribe"

Went into a bank in Manila one time and there was a sign at the door, 'Please leave all hand guns at the door'..
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Twice I've been asked recently when bording a ferry whether I was carrying a knife. Both times I answered yes, as I was camping. Last year I was asked how big the blade was, but neither time did they ask to see it. I always carry and Gerber and an Opinel. I remember actually bording a ferry 30 odd years ago with big Bowie knife strapped to my waist, clearly on view. It only attracted a mere glance back then.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”