Taking knife in luggage on ferries?....

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
fergusbrady

Taking knife in luggage on ferries?....

Post by fergusbrady »

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience of taking camping/utility knives in their luggage on ferries?

I unashamedly have the attached Gerber Bear Grylls knife that I use for firewood, food etc etc, that I'm planning to take on a trip to Morocco. That will involve 4 separate ferry crossings, so I'm not really sure about the legality of it!
Attachments
20170319_121928.jpg
20170319_121928.jpg (90.42 KiB) Viewed 5496 times
Brads

Re: Taking knife in luggage on ferries?....

Post by Brads »

You can take what you like in your luggage. A large knife is perfectly legal and acceptable.
Round the world ???

Round the bend more like !
biker

Post by biker »

Never had a problem
I AM THAT I AM
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

If you enter morocco via the fnideq border they will ask you if you have knives. Just say no because if you say yes the guard will steal it from you. If you go in via tan med there won't be an issue. If you go out via tan med though your bike and luggage will be 3D scanned and you may lose it, but it's unlikely.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I have always taken a knife and folding saw with me on my trips on the ferry. I have never had a problem. I would suggest that common sense dictates to leave it in your pack on the bike rather than on your person as it would probably be seen differently.
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

Here is what the law says .

The laws about buying and carrying a knife depend on the type of knife, your age and your circumstances.
Basic laws on knives
It is illegal to:
sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under 18
carry a knife in public without good reason – unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife
carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife (the list of banned knives is below)
use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)
Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public.
The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.
Good reasons for carrying a knife
Examples of good reasons to carry a knife in public can include:
taking knives you use at work to and from work
you’re taking knives to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
the knife is going to be used for theatre, film, television historical reenactment or religious purposes (eg the kirpan some Sikhs carry)
A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.
Knives that are illegal
There is a complete ban on the sale of some knives:
flick knives (also called ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) – where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed
butterfly knives – where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
disguised knives – eg where the blade is hidden inside a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
gravity knives
sword-sticks
samurai swords (with some exceptions, including antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
hand or foot-claws
push daggers
hollow kubotan (cylinder-shaped keychain) holding spikes
shuriken (also known as ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

just take it feck the laws if your not planning to stab someone you will be ok ,common sense will see you through .
heavy

Post by heavy »

whenever I go triping on bike wild or even civilized camping , I take sharp knife , 12" axe for wood cutting and hacksaw for bike repairs or prison break ,
never had problem , but always carried in boxes,
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

I think we should remember that the law in different countries is different to here. In some states in the US carrying weapons is perfectly legal as is the ownership of machine guns and so forth. An Opinel kitchen knife has a little ring to lock the blade in place, and so totally illegal to carry in the UK as it is a locking knife. They must laugh at us. I would have thought something like an Opinel knife buried deep in your luggage with all the other kitchen/cooking equipment wouldn't be looked on as an offensive weapon in most of the world. http://www.thegoodery.fr/content/produc ... eau-opinel
gbags

Post by gbags »

I always have a knife and sometimes an axe but I've never been searched.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”