Cook, or just heat water?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
rodyorkabr

Re: Cook, or just heat water?

Post by rodyorkabr »

GB wrote:The reason I asked is I was camped next to a guy at the Hubb and he had two Trangia 25s on the go :ohmy: Now I like to cook with my 27 Trangia, done potatoes, veg, meats and rice etc but two Trangias! Ive found myself to be in the minority as most just do fried breakfast and heat water for drinks.
Was the guy on a CCM450 by any chance..or a serow in previous years?
if it was...he is the legend that is known as "Cameraman" on the Hubb. He brings everything on his bike and with his friend- they make fantastic food and their company is even better...they are often better than the presentations!
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Just boil water for a brew for me.
I've just bought a Brukit Jackal. Less than 3 minutes to boil 0.5l of water but over half an hour to drink it it was that hot.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
BobH

Post by BobH »

Very happy to cook when off the beaten track, many years remote trekking have instilled a slick routine so it is no effort. When touring in Europe I tend to make a brew, decamp and then stop at the first cafe for breakfast. Lunch on the hoof and pick up evening meal if I am cooking. Always have an emergency pasta meal incase I camp late or can't get to somewhere for food in the evening.
devon john

Post by devon john »

i like to cook ,, but its hard to do if your on your own ,,,,,,,,

i cooked for 60 at the yule tide (thumbs)

but it seems where i go theres always a few friends that i can cook for ,,
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

I like to cook a lot when I'm touring, trying local stuff like sausages, which vary a lot as you ride around Spain.

My 'standard' is a tin of the various stews, casseroles, etc. that also vary from region to region and make them up with some couscous as it's so economical with water, heat, etc.

A favourite is scrambled eggs with various savoury bits thrown in that I can keep for a day or two without a 'fridge, smoked salmon or salt cod are good, likewise mushrooms, even tinned ones, and I keep small tins of peas as another standby.

We don't get much in the way or 'ready-meals' here but I do buy packs ready for the microwave - they're indestructible stuff in your luggage and just heat up normally with an extra dash of water.

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
BobH

Post by BobH »

Slightly off topic but if you want food that lasts, buy Hula Hoops. Just been in the loft to get some toys out to wash for the grandchildren and found a Hula Hoop inside the box, almost perfect after some 20 years!!!!!
The Cameraman

Post by The Cameraman »

rodyorkabr wrote:
GB wrote:The reason I asked is I was camped next to a guy at the Hubb and he had two Trangia 25s on the go :ohmy: Now I like to cook with my 27 Trangia, done potatoes, veg, meats and rice etc but two Trangias! Ive found myself to be in the minority as most just do fried breakfast and heat water for drinks.
Was the guy on a CCM450 by any chance..or a serow in previous years?
if it was...he is the legend that is known as "Cameraman" on the Hubb. He brings everything on his bike and with his friend- they make fantastic food and their company is even better...they are often better than the presentations!
Hi Rodders,

you can't beat some proper food, cooked whilst camping and all carried on a Serow, or a CCM! Still not had a chilli or curry made by Nova yet matey! Maybe next year?

Regards

Reggie
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

i like to cook if have time,( i hate bland fast food) i have an MSR Dragonfly so i can fit large pans on it, still stick to stew's and one pot deals, mind you its amazing how many people come over for a chat when i am cooking a curry :)
steak n potatoes, cous cous, rice, lentil curry, stews, scrambled eggs, beef stew, etc etc
i also carry a small collapsable BBQ which all my kitchen bits fit inside it

i always have on a trip, curry powder, tabasco sauce, and a few herbs, salt and pepper

eating in a pub always leaves more Beer time ;)
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

BigRedUn wrote:Waitrose have some reasonable looking boil in the bag meals at the moment. The range is called 'look what we found'.
With only a single lightweight alpine gas stove and small non-stick billy with lid, I like to keep it quick and simple. Tasty is also a bonus. The 'Look what we've found' sachets ticked all the boxes for me. Not boil in the bag, simply empty contents into the billy and heat. Tesco did a fair variety, but sadly my local store don't stock them any longer, and together with quick cook rice and pasta, made for the perfect evening meal. Quick cook porridge in the mornings, and buy fruit a bread rolls when required. I lived on this diet for 10 days when riding in Norway last summer, and with the added financial incentive to steer clear of alcohol, I lost 10lbs in weight, and no I didn't go hungry. The wife's now thinking she should try the same diet in readiness for her Spanish beach holiday next month.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Boil in the Bag food for me, or pub grub.

I like a brew, so if I'm boiling water for that, may as well cook something in it.

These are really useful for a hassle free way of heating something up if you're halfway through a wet/cold journey somewhere - you can set it up & drive a bit further if you're desperate to keep moving.

D

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”