Cook, or just heat water?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
gbags

Re: Cook, or just heat water?

Post by gbags »

Very interesting topic.

I've recently broken a good pot and need another saucepan and frying pan. Any suggestions? Big enough to cook for two.

And secondly, I have a foreign wife who thinks we must be the only weirdos who carry brew kits with tea bags and coffee everywhere. My question is: Is there any Brit out there who DOESN'T carry a brew kit when off travelling on the bike?
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

gbags wrote:Very interesting topic.

I've recently broken a good pot and need another saucepan and frying pan. Any suggestions? Big enough to cook for two.

And secondly, I have a foreign wife who thinks we must be the only weirdos who carry brew kits with tea bags and coffee everywhere. My question is: Is there any Brit out there who DOESN'T carry a brew kit when off travelling on the bike?
I thought it was a condition of our citizenship...

When I went to Greece I didn't take tea bags. Seriously regretted it.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Benson-1215

Post by Benson-1215 »

I use Tesco value frying pan and saucepan both for under a tenner good for a year ........ Three years later still going strong also have a set of hi gear my son had for his D of E with a small kettel which is on its second season .
under £20 at GOOUTDOORs
"I came into this world with nothing and with careful management
I still have most of it left'
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Never go travelling without a brew kit , even take teabags in my suitcase never enough in hotel rooms and the wife does like a brew in the morning (thumbs)
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Yes, he died about 50 years ago and is buried off Orkney.

Not a Brit but since we over here have the highest tea consumption per head in the world [yep its even higher] some of us don't venture out without being able to enjoy a proper brew. My bike has a little set up with a 500ml flask with 2 double skin stainless steel mugs that slip over it, a container with sugar and tea bags and flask can either have hot water or more usually cold milk. A micro stove and pot and I have my brew anywhere. Bike on centre stand, stand stove inside top box and its as close to a cappuccino machine as you can get. For tea it beats take out.

I got laughed at until one day I used the same kit to produce mulled wine at a camp site. As often as not we now have mulled wine camping.....a little container with the necessary spices and flavourings always travel if camping here.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

The Sarge wrote:I went to my local Asda supermarket to buy the LYWF (Look what we found) range of ready made foods (6 flavours in total)only to find that they only stock one flavour, so I then tried Tesco, same story, Morrisons, same, Waitrose etc....weirdly you cannot buy all 6 flavours in any one supermarket ??? :pinch:

I then had one of those horror flashbacks to the Falklands, being sent out to South Georgia, got dropped off by Chinook with 6 weeks Compo rations to last me until handover, only to find I had been given 6 weeks supply of Menu G........ :pinch:

Sarge
Ouch... not nice Sarge!!

On the LWWF packs, buy them online.. I tend to stock up when I go to Waitrose (not often!!) and see whats on offer.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Brenhden wrote:When in France I always treat myself to a can like this...

20140911_185341Cass.jpg
A big one will fit on the Trangia so you don't have to wash it up (thumbs)
They are nice, Lidl stock them on their French "Specials" days (thumbs)
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

gbags wrote:
Is there any Brit out there who DOESN'T carry a brew kit when off travelling on the bike?
Don't be daft... :pinch: And these days, the little Nescafe sachets for coffee. (thumbs)

I went around France with 3 other lads about 7-8 years ago, all mad tea drinkers, it seemed we stopped for a brew every 2 hours... More than my bladder wanted, so we HAD to stop every 2 hours!! :-)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Cone wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:I buy microwave ready meals when I can find them - usually in Andorra - all you need to do is add a bit of water to cook on a camping stove and the bags are indestructible so I stuff some well down inside my luggage ...

But when I'm at a location for a few days I buy tins of local stews, casseroles, etc.

Regs

Simon
I like this idea, the plastic boxes dont melt on the sauce pan, or is your pan big enough to float them :ohmy:

I hate washing up :sick:
Nope, the ones I get are in sort of jackets and I open these up and cook them in a pan with just a bit of added water - or wine ...

There are French makes which are really good and Uncle Ben's aren't bad. There's more choice in Andorra so I normally stock up there on our spring visit ...
SteveR wrote:
Brenhden wrote:When in France I always treat myself to a can like this...

20140911_185341Cass.jpg
A big one will fit on the Trangia so you don't have to wash it up (thumbs)
They are nice, Lidl stock them on their French "Specials" days (thumbs)
Great idea and works in Spain too for very similar regional specialties. It's a bad mistake to go 'cheap', alerts get the more expensive brands!

@ SteveR 'Lidl' indeed, that's for the bootless and unhorsed :whistle:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
hornet

Post by hornet »

what go away without the kit to make a brew what madness is this !

as for replacement kit MSR cook stuff is all I use now it's not that expensive lasts well and packs away well too.

Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”