Tents for 2?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Mr Toad

Re: Tents for 2?

Post by Mr Toad »

Not the cheapest but they will last you a long time. You just need to decide how much space you need, but Vango Equinox 250 or 350 are great.
We have worn out one 350 (UV always does for a tent eventually) and are onto our second. But we do like the extra space and Jane and I ride a bike each so can cope with the larger tent. If we were on the same bike the 250 would be the way to go. IMHO
Never enough time and so much to see and experience.

Previously a VStrom 650, and a KTM SMR 950, currently XT600E with many mods. And now a F800GS Trophy since the KTM has gone.
scouse

Post by scouse »

Mr Toad wrote:Not the cheapest but they will last you a long time. You just need to decide how much space you need, but Vango Equinox 250 or 350 are great.
We have worn out one 350 (UV always does for a tent eventually) and are onto our second. But we do like the extra space and Jane and I ride a bike each so can cope with the larger tent. If we were on the same bike the 250 would be the way to go. IMHO
Just remember to pack your pole repair kit... ;)

The Omega 350 is a cheaper option - basically the same tent but a bit heavier and not as high specced materials and pitching. :D Has plenty of room for two people,all their bike kit and two sets of panniers.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
appleby

Post by appleby »

scouse wrote:
Mr Toad wrote:Not the cheapest but they will last you a long time. You just need to decide how much space you need, but Vango Equinox 250 or 350 are great.
Just remember to pack your pole repair kit... ;)

The Omega 350 is a cheaper option - basically the same tent but a bit heavier and not as high specced materials and pitching. :D Has plenty of room for two people,all their bike kit and two sets of panniers.
The Exuinox is bombproof when pitched correcctly with the TBS (tension band system) connected. Mine has taken an absolute beasting over the last 5 years. Also very warm in winter.

If you are looking for something sub 3kg but with a 6' porch . . . and you're feeling flushed, have a look at the Lightwave T2 Trek XT

http://www.cheaptents.com/acatalog/ligh ... TrekXTTent
knobbly

Post by knobbly »

I use a khyam. only takes a minute to put up, really helps when it's hacking down with rain and you need shelter quickly.
Only thing is they dont tend to pack up as small as others, but well worth the it and they are reasonably priced.
I also try to get one that opens at both ends so you can get airflow on hot days.

Think mines a 3 man nevada and because it opens at both ends, it means you get 2 porches.
Harty

Post by Harty »

Gelert are just cheap as chips tents and not made with decent material. Vango/Kyham are quality tents that will last and keep you dry and have got one of each.

Those tents you can put you bike is are laughable. Once you stick your wide beemer in, there's no way of getting in and out your tent! :pinch:
.....eat my dirt!
scouse

Post by scouse »

appleby wrote:
The Exuinox is bombproof when pitched correcctly with the TBS (tension band system) connected.
But they are not Jim Lovell proof when he has been out "playing" with Captain Morgan :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
appleby

Post by appleby »

Morph wrote:
Jelly wrote:
AckAckFlack wrote:I have a Khyam Biker tent
What makes it a 'biker' tent? :P
Does it mean you can park your bike in it? :blink:

Sure does! Shame his boots have to live outside though.
Mul001

Post by Mul001 »

tome, good thread, I can only re-state what others have said, If there's two of you the advice for a 3 man is good, as already well put, by the time you get your kit in a two man tent there'll be no room for you.

I carry a wee 2 man Gelert (1man +kit !). No experience of anything larger sorry. but it appears to be well made.
davsato

Post by davsato »

the khyam biker is a normal sized 3 man inner with an extra big vestibule/porch area for storing luggage and kit. its not tall enough to put a bike in, mores the pity!
Dave
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I did a lot of research about tents and biking, I was going to get a one man tent and go light weight everything, but I got a lot of advice of many people who were saying "NO" you need a bigger tent. Now having done a few trips I am more than happy I got my 3 man tent with porch (Jack Wolfskin Tundra) panniers and kit go into the porch with no problem, plenty of room to move around inside and put biking kit on if it's lashing down out side. Down side a slight increase in weight but who cares it's the bike who carries it. GO BIG YOUNG MAN

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”