Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
onslowe

Re: Upgrading sleeping mat

Post by onslowe »

+1 Exped Synmat 9 LW (thumbs)
Monster

Post by Monster »

Very interesting topic as I have an old Thermarest mat that has served me very well for the past several years. I only consider a new purchase to gain a smaller pack size. My mat is 192cm long by 65cm wide and it inflates on its own without any issues but it is at least twice the size when packed of the newer options

The above post mentions the LW version which is the Long Wide version

You also have DownMat (down insulation) or SynMat (synthetic insulation) options

On top of this you have a variety of thickness versions 5cm, 7cm 9cm etc and also
taper-cut mummy shape versions as well

Many places have the L version (197cm long) and some have the M version (183cm log) but both are only 51cm or so wide ... which for me is too narrow.

I have searched high and low for Exped SynMat 7 UL MW and pretty much given up.

I shall likely go for the SynMat UL (Ultra-Light) 7 LW from All Outdoor UK which is about £90 delivered

Quite a minefield for those who are not in the know ... and we haven't even touched on how the new versions are inflated. Thermarest SV (speed valve is not fit for purpose).... and no mention of a Schnozzell yet either !!!

OMG :pinch:
If a Hammer don't fix it - you have an electrical problem
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I picked up one of these early in year.
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exped-SynMat-9- ... SwXj5XGJbL
Paid only -£90 back then too. Haven't been able to use yet. But went up nice and easy and seems very comfy :woohoo:
JJay51

Post by JJay51 »

Bit expensive for a lilo innit? :blink:

Go Outdoors has a similar product for about £8, or an inflatable airbed would surely do a better job at a much lower cost?
Africa John

Post by Africa John »

mabawza wrote:Exped Synmat 9 LW (thumbs) The only problem I find with this mat is getting up before 10am :laugh:
Just got one of these and have never slept so well on the ground
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Pack size is always the most important feature on any camping kit being packed on a bike and a lot of the cheaper ones don't compress as well as the top of the range ones.

Traditional type air beds are ok but I've never found one that doesn't need pumping up every day and if you're away when it's cold they hold a layer of cold air under you which is not a good thing to have. In winter I use an Exped down filled air bed because they're worth an extra season on your sleeping bag but in summer I use an old Thermarest that's got a small amount of foam in it to make it slightly firmer than an air bed and is only 25mm thick so it packs down really well.
GB

Post by GB »

Neoair for me but I like things light and small pack size.
Finally back on a GS :D
BigRedUn

Post by BigRedUn »

No one is recommending the 5 series Exped mats. If you only want one for three season camping is it really worth paying the extra for the 9 series mats?
Womble

Post by Womble »

onslowe wrote:+1 Exped Synmat 9 LW (thumbs)
+1 Although I have the short one as 1-cheaper and 2-leaves space to use my bike gear as a pillow :)
Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness
mabawza

Post by mabawza »

BigRedUn wrote:No one is recommending the 5 series Exped mats. If you only want one for three season camping is it really worth paying the extra for the 9 series mats?
Well worth the extra if you have a bad back like me (thumbs)

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”