Useful Kit - Cooking and Water Filtration

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
africajim

Re:Useful Kit - Cooking and Water Filtration

Post by africajim »

I have a good supply of kerosene, I need to get rid of about 5 litres a week! I've never came up with a use for the stuff so usually dump it! (Waste from filter bowls, I service boilers you see!)
Be handy to have a use for it!
Honda, the power of dreams.
davsato

Post by davsato »

Alun wrote:

You threatening me with that Optimus dude? I'd take a minute to reconsider if I were you, I'm seriously tooled up this morning, including a few titanium cooking pots and a couple of custard creams.

no! spare me the custard creams, i surrender! you feeding the 5000 with that lot? its strange how blokes get collections of things, buying kit they already have a perfectly good example of. i have a lot of tents for some reason........
Dave
davsato

Post by davsato »

africajim wrote:
I have a good supply of kerosene, I need to get rid of about 5 litres a week! I've never came up with a use for the stuff so usually dump it! (Waste from filter bowls, I service boilers you see!)
Be handy to have a use for it!
use it in a stove then, there are a few that use kerosene but im not the one to advise you on a good one having no experience, i prefer the cleanliness of gas(gas trangia best stove ive ever had) or the practicality of petrol (coleman exponent, my previous 'best' stove, and used fuel from the bike so i never ran out).
i could say the old optimus'00' is a good stove, it goes like a rocket once lit but its a PITA to get lit and its a big old brass thing that weighs a ton and takes forever to set up. those that know tell me they are popular in extreme cold places because they are built like a tank and burn better in the cold than gas or petrol.
Dave
Alun

Post by Alun »

The old stoves like the Optimus were the staple of high altitude mountaineers in remote areas of the world - the Optimus itself was too heavy.

In the days before gas was available in most parts of the world you needed something that would burn anything that was available. The big problem with this kind of stove is that it is either off or in flame thrower mode; a camp stove that 'simmered' was about as rare as a yeti sighting.
scurrell

Post by scurrell »

davsato wrote:
its strange how blokes get collections of things, buying kit they already have a perfectly good example of. i have a lot of tents for some reason........
Glad to hear it's not just me...
"It was only the beer talking, but what it said made perfect sense..."

scouse

Post by scouse »

Magnum wrote:
Good advice Kev.

Plus, a lot of the issues with water are common sense. A clear fast moving stream up high in a mountain is far less likely to be contaminated that a filthy puddle in the tropics.
Not strictly true. I have had experience with finding dead animals further up streams in the mountains and like this year at the camping area by the Refugio at the Stella, some idiots were crapping near the sources for two of the fast flowing streams on site
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Alun

Post by Alun »

First rule of the mountains. Never, ever, drink downstream from a refuge.
scouse

Post by scouse »

This was upstream!

Some of our German friends seem to prefer to trek a long long way to take a dump! :)
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Alun

Post by Alun »

scouse wrote:
Some of our German friends seem to prefer to trek a long long way to take a dump! :)
Yes, I've heard they once went as far as Stalingrad.:S

Anyway, this thread needs more pics of camping stoves in action.
davsato

Post by davsato »

everyone going to rosedale in september, you heard the man- we can have a mass cook in, or a race to boil a pint of water, how sad would that be?
Dave

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”