Australian swagbags

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
utaka

Australian swagbags

Post by utaka »

Has anyone tried or actually own an Australian swagbag? downside from what i can see is they can be a bit bulky, but is it any worse than a seperate tent and mat? Would like to hear thoughts. (thumbs)
LargeWayRound

Re: Australian swagbags

Post by LargeWayRound »

Matthew did a review on youtube
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Ive used a proper swag bag while in the outback too many years ago now :(
They are great for rolling up & chucking in the back of a van but wouldnt recommend for bike touring or anywhere likely to rain. Mine just had a flap you pulled over the head in the vain attempt to keep out bugs, rather than the youtube bivvy type above. You still need a sleeping bag & tarp would be useful, so no real advantage apart from a few seconds set up over a tent, eespecially if your riding gears soaked.
Paul
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Heff

Post by Heff »

After watching the video, I don't see any advantages over a tent in any way, not to mention the 'compact' pack size............. :ohmy:

I think I'll just stick with my Vaude :whistle: (thumbs)
If I'm not online.............

I'm probably out on the Bat Bike

Gelande/Strasse R1200Gsa Triple Black
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

i bought a pop up tent from costco a few years ago. its great. it goes up in 30sec!

take it out the bag. fold down the arms and pullthe strings in top - done. if you put your gera in straight away then i dont bother with pegging it down. not too big in the bag either.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
davsato

Post by davsato »

if you could rely on the weather i could see the point, otherwise yeah, a tent for me too.

if it was open at one end and it was a nice warm dry night with no bugs then ok, but i hate bivvy bag type things and if theres much of a temp drop in the night they fill up with condensation, even the best goretex ones.
Dave
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Well never used a swag bag...but I do use a proper gortex bivy regularly when abroad traveling around for a night halt..

quick and easy just roll out with sleeping bag inside and matt too..warm and comfy BUT if it rains getting up in night or morning is a pain also you have to sleep with your gear and boots to keep them dry..And if any midges or ants they will eat you alive and slugs have a habit of finding your face :woohoo: :S ..

It rolls up no smaller than a one or small two man tent..which is far better as it gives more room and a barrier against the outside animals :laugh: ...

unless your a cowboy or Aussie why would you need one?..

The zip up hooped bivy are very claustrafobic?

each to their own ...but I like independence so a bivy suits me fine (thumbs) bus shelter bandit :P
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

If I'm going lightweight I use one of these

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/product-re ... /2011.html

They're never a 2 man tent and they're small even for one but on a bike I just throw my riding kit into a waterproof bag and leave it outside. If you've got panniers you can pack everything away after cooking and lock the panniers then that's it so why worry about having a lot of room in the tent. Condensation isn't a problem and it's seriously sturdy, especially if you pitch it with the lower end into the wind. I can pitch mine in well under 5 minutes from getting it off the bike to having it pegged out and ready to sleep in.

It sags a little bit in the middle so the trick is to either pitch it under a tree and use the central loop on the top to lift it a bit or do the same off the bikes handlebars if you pitch close to the bike. Condensation isn't a problem as long as you zip it up tight so the Goretex works and it's not like the original single skin Goretex tents where you woke up in the middle of night thinking you were suffocating.

The downside is that it's not self supporting so no good in a bus shelter unless you peg it out to the seats :)
Freeloadeur

Post by Freeloadeur »

Years ago I used a swag while touring Australia in an old Holden. In the outback they make good sense you just throw it on the ground and climb in. But get somewhere wet and you've nowhere to store your gear (well I had the car). Get somewhere with other people and you're standing around in your undercrackers trying to get dressed.

Also traditionally they're made of heavy canvas and the mattress is wadding or horsehair so they are bulky and heavy.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't looked at combining the traditional swag style with modern materials and a modern sleeping mat, an ExPed for instance. It wouldn't solve the undercrackers issue but if you knew you were doing a lot of wild camping with consistently dry weather it could be a good option.

Someone will now post exactly what I've just described.
Happiness has 125cc ...
gebrauchtwagen83

Post by gebrauchtwagen83 »

LargeWayRound wrote:Matthew did a review on youtube

where is matthew? havent seen him about for ages

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”