Same old question: which tent?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Bryn

Re: Same old question: which tent?

Post by Bryn »

Just finished testing 3 season 2 man tents for ABR's sister magazine Adventure Travel magazine, and there was one tent that really stood out, the Hilleberg Kaitum 2 GT. Over the years Hilleberg has earned a reputation as a top tent manufacturer, and the Katium 2 GT is an absolutely fantastic tent. It's got two porches, one of which is big enough to have a party in, and the inner is more than big enough for two people. It's been made using top quality components, and for its size it's very light and packable. That said, you're going to be blown away by the price: £795 for the Katium 2 GT :huh: If you have the money spare though, it's worth a crack.

Hilleberg Kaitum 2 GT

More realistically though, the Vango Hurricane 200 is another fantastic tent. It's slightly bulky when packed away, and heavier than a lot of other two man tents, but when it's up you'll be glad you bought it. The inner is huge with a nice high roof and wide floor, and the two porches are of decent size and would be more than big enough for your panniers/gear. There's also a neat hanging net on the inner which is more than useful. It retails at about £300 but you can find it much cheaper on line.

Vango Hurricane 200
Vango hurricane.jpg
Vango hurricane.jpg (39.06 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
scouse

Post by scouse »

Great if money is no option - but when you consider the footprint for the Hilleberg is the just under half the price of the Vango... and more than the price of a banshee 300... out of the range of a lot of our pockets... but give the option, Yes please I'll take two! :D
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Alun

Post by Alun »

The Hilleberg Kaitum 2 GT will be making an appearence at the Boil Rally, I reckon I should be able to invite at least 20 guests in for a pint at any one time.
CRAIGREVO

Post by CRAIGREVO »

I was considering The Hilleberg Kaitum 2 GT for a while, but I got turned down on the mortgage. Apparently you cant get a mortgage for a tent? Thats bul****t! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Alun

Post by Alun »

CRAIGREVO wrote:I was considering The Hilleberg Kaitum 2 GT for a while, but I got turned down on the mortgage. Apparently you cant get a mortgage for a tent? Thats bul****t! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
you can get it on a 'buy to let' scheme. Interest only. ;)
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Alun wrote:
CRAIGREVO wrote:I was considering The Hilleberg Kaitum 2 GT for a while, but I got turned down on the mortgage. Apparently you cant get a mortgage for a tent? Thats bul****t! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
you can get it on a 'buy to let' scheme. Interest only. ;)
It also comes with a complimentary Butler that will carry and pitch the tent, serve you drinks throughout the night and then tuck you in when you get tired.
LargeWayRound

Post by LargeWayRound »

My Tent , Isle of Mull hurricane and very heavy rain tested. All OK £70

£795 !! (I spat my coffee over computer)
better quality maybe, but I could buy 10 tents like mine for that price.

Typical Scotsman ..
mark1150

Post by mark1150 »

LargeWayRound wrote:Image

My Tent , Isle of Mull hurricane and very heavy rain tested. All OK £70

£795 !! (I spat my coffee over computer)
better quality maybe, but I could buy 10 tents like mine for that price.

Typical Scotsman ..
When looking at kit such as tents, which lets face it is for occasional use, I would ask myself is the x 10 price, x 10 better than a decent alternative?
Invariably the answer is no, as I'm not about to set up base camp at the foot of Everest, unless it's near a dwelling with their windows fitted!
I'm not going to hump it to a far and distant destination either so weight and size within reason isn't a problem either.
All I require is something at a decent price and of decent quality that will keep me dry and away from all but the worst that nature can throw at me and I'm happy.
The end of the road is the start of the fun

A bad day on the bike is still better than a good day at the office

DRZ 400

XR 400 R
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Having been involved in importation from China, the systems seems to be... you place an order they send a sample which is crap (on the grounds they are seeing what they can get away with) you complain they then send decent stuff but over but over the period of a contract the quality will decline. But the big problem is trying to get anything made in this country, I did try to no avail. Cheers Spud
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Redmurty wrote:Having been involved in importation from China, the systems seems to be... you place an order they send a sample which is crap (on the grounds they are seeing what they can get away with) you complain they then send decent stuff but over but over the period of a contract the quality will decline. But the big problem is trying to get anything made in this country, I did try to no avail. Cheers Spud
Snugpak still have a factory in the UK and as far as I'm aware they still make some parts for their tents there. Snugpak tents, sleeping bags and insulated clothing are pretty decent as well, so they could be an option if you want British made kit.

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”