Help please is this the best adventure kit?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Brenhden

Re: One man adventure

Post by Brenhden »

Hola Simon,

Thats where I keep my emergecy fluff...

I am a hobby smoker rather than a addict, in fact my father just gave me some pipe tabacco so I might hunt the briar out tonight...

I had a fantastic hour in France trying to explain to various shop assistants what I was after, once I'd remembered its what you use for fondues (alcahol a brulee?) it was a lot easier.

Bowser, I know there are better stoves out there and those petrol ones make a lot of sense but I've loved trangias ever since I did DofE. I will also be taking my old enameled mug and plate, I consider these things luxuries...

Thanks for the input guys :woohoo:
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

The first time I bought l'alcool du brûler on a French trip, I had to endure a ten minute long (but completely incomprehensible) lecture from the shop keeper.

We eventually worked out she thought we wanted to drink it and was trying to warn us of the perils :laugh:
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Hey Tony,

When I got back to camp and opened the bottle I was imediately reminded of several bottles of cheap tequila, gin and vodka I purchase in Portugal circa 1994 and brought home. My liver has never forgiven me...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Barcelona Pat

Post by Barcelona Pat »

Nice thread this - and with some really good info too.

I agree with Mark and P4ulie about the spork - take 2 of difference sizes - you'll still save over costs, weight and bulk from metal items.

Clever idea from Sam about the cheap towel - but I note that Simon has already pointed out you can get a cheap stool from Decathlon. They also do cheap travel towels - which are around half the price of branded gear (I've used mine for around 8 years now - still wearing well). If you are a fan of Douglas Adams you'll know how important your towel is when travelling. :laugh: :laugh:

I'm very much in Sam's camp regarding a sleeping mat - and I swear by my Thermarest Treklight. Riding is so much more fun and safer if you are well rested.

I too am a trangia fan - and I see you've already got the advice you need on where to find fuel.

Not sure if these recent reviews would be of any use: http://patonabike.blogspot.com.es/p/gear.html

I also have to agree with Dave about the need to carry a credit card - my big tip that, and probably my most important single item when scooting around the EU.

Lastly, remember to pack a smile, you'll find you'll need that a lot!
Pat
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Hi Pat,

Thanks for all the info,

I will purchase a spork and see if I like it. My first precamp stop is in a B&B near Dover so I won't need it until I am camping near Bruge, will I find Decathlon in Belgium?

That said leaving home, let alone leaving this green and pleasant land without a towel fills me with dread. I am a HGTTG fan and above all an old Boy Scout and that feels like the opposite of 'Be Prepared'...

Maybe a thermarest is a good Idea, I've signed up to do a Dragonboat tournament the day before the adventuree starts so my back will probably need some TLC...

Its amazes me that whenever I go away how much stuff I find I need even though I've put loads of thought into it. Even after 20+ years of expedition (without bike).

Believe me when I say that the combination of camping, bike and Europe will bring a smile to my face that will never falter :laugh: :cheer: :)

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
dmac

Post by dmac »

Travelling Sam wrote:
Brenhden wrote:Thanks Willy,

I'll get one of those £5 foam rollmats, they are super light and will fit in the 30l tube bag with the tent poles.
Stay away from these like the plague. Get an inflatable type. If on a budget Asda do one for about £15 that is great for the money!
Currently an F650GS, DR350 and RV125 in the family stable.
Barcelona Pat

Post by Barcelona Pat »

Brenhden wrote:Hi Pat,

My first precamp stop is in a B&B near Dover so I won't need it until I am camping near Bruge, will I find Decathlon in Belgium?
They are a French chain, but growing widely across the EU. They have a UK website for online purchases - and I think some stores there. Have a look at: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/

Cheers
P
dmac

Re: Help please is this the best adventure kit?

Post by dmac »

Pat your kit list is a great help. Thanks!!!!
Currently an F650GS, DR350 and RV125 in the family stable.
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Pat that kit list is fantastic, probably the most useful thing I've seen so far, I will add silk bag liner to my list, a small tarp to go between tent and bike, and make sure I go through the tools and first aid stuff too. I'm travelling in Europe in June so I won't need quite so much stuff.

I haven't read the whole thing but did you fit all of that into those two panniers?

Bren

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Barcelona Pat

Post by Barcelona Pat »

Brenhden wrote:Pat that kit list is fantastic, probably the most useful thing I've seen so far, I will add silk bag liner to my list, a small tarp to go between tent and bike, and make sure I go through the tools and first aid stuff too. I'm travelling in Europe in June so I won't need quite so much stuff.

I haven't read the whole thing but did you fit all of that into those two panniers?

Bren
Bren
The two panniers and a Hein Gerike roll bag across the pillion. The roll bag was about 12kgs at the start, but was closer to 6kgs by the time I finished.(you'll see the set up at the start of the trip and the end if you look at some of the pics on the blog entries).

Glad you find the website of help - and I agree a couple of weeks in the EU in June won't see you needing so much stuff - particularly spare parts and winter gear etc.

For info, I've also loaded all the reviews onto the review section of this forum - where you might find other useful info from people who've used stuff.
P

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”