Help please is this the best adventure kit?

Tents, Sleeping Bags, Oxygen Chambers...that kinda stuff
Dave DRZ

Re: One man adventure

Post by Dave DRZ »

No one has mentioned a tool kit... search through some other threads (there was one earlier in the week I think). Can you use a tool kit? Think about whether you can repair punctures at the side of the road, do you know how to replace blubs if they blow, or get some Euro breakdown cover.

Take your credit card as well, buy stuff en route that you forgot to pack.

Have fun.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Hi Dave DRZ,

Good call, yes I will take the minimal toolkit. I will need to learn about repairing punctures. I am tool kit kind of guy and have had some practice on my tremendously unreliable DR125. That said I am hardly leaving civilisation so if anything goes wrong I'm hoping the euro cover will workout. The fact that the Honda CRF250L should be bombproof will help too.

Thanks

Bren
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Redmurty wrote:How about a travel hammoch and tarp instead of a heavy tent cheers Spud ;)
I'm a fan of tarps and bashers, but depending on where you are you can be at the mercy of mozzies.
Turned out nice again
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I forgot about mozzies. Hateful things...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Brenhden wrote:Thanks for the tip.

The weight thing is not only based around the bike. I will be parking up and heading into Amsterdam. I will have to carry everything with me and stash it somewhere.

Bren
If Amsterdam is your first stop then pick up a stool at a Decathlon on your way out :)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Mark1961 wrote:I'd also get one of these.
Swedish_Firesteel_3000.jpg
will always spark what ever the weather
firesteel.png
Hi,

Have you tried this with parafin stoves like the Trangia? I always find you need a flame rather than a spark but Im willing to stand corrected :)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

As they are only a couple of quid I might just pick up and drop off as and when requested. Often campsite have lost property and abandoned stuff that you can borrow if you are polite enough :-)

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

Yes I have one and very much enjoy searching for natural fluffy materials to light with it. I've never got a trangia going with one though. Lucky I smoke so I am never far from a lighter.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
bowser

Post by bowser »

Brenhden wrote:Yes I have one and very much enjoy searching for natural fluffy materials to light with it. I've never got a trangia going with one though. Lucky I smoke so I am never far from a lighter.
at the risk of a "stove war", if keeping things light is your aim, you are better off with a petrol stove, as you never run out of fuel, you can spend a fortuene on various types I have an MSR wisperlight and a dragonfly, the dragonfly is by far the best for cooking on, but I also got a cheap chineese one from ebay for about £30.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Brenhden wrote:Yes I have one and very much enjoy searching for natural fluffy materials to light with it. I've never got a trangia going with one though. Lucky I smoke so I am never far from a lighter.
So, you're into navel gazing eh? :evil:

Don't know about the rest of Europe but in Spain watch out for perfumes meths* sold in supermarkets and 'droguerias' rather than ironmonger's shops (fereterias). This stuff seems to be watered down a little and can be difficult to light, especially on frosty mornings for your cuppa.

* 'alcohol de quemar' or 'alcohol azul' (blue)

Regs

Simon
PS you must be the only bloke in the Western Hemisphere who thinks it 'lucky' to still be a smoker - bless you matey :)

Return to “TRAVEL GEAR”