Can you recommend some road riding boots please...?

Does my ass look big in these?
Rederic

Re: Can you recommend some road riding boots please...?

Post by Rederic »

mark vb wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:11 am Daytona for me. There may possibly be others which are good, but I'm on my second pair now after previous not-so-good makes. My first pair lasted well over 10 yrs of year-round commuting, trips and travelling, and general bikery stuff. They were still in almost perfect shape but the Goretex waterproofing started to leak slightly on one of them. Totally waterproof (up to 10 yrs, anyway), normal looks (at least for a m/c boot) and very comfy both on the bike and, importantly for me, when walking around. Not cheap, but worth the cost, and Daytona normally come out top in bike mag tests. There are various models of Daytona; I've always gone for the Non-Stop GTX, which was one of their less expensive models - not sure if they're still available but there's plenty of others in the range. A little over 150 Euros, but I've found cheapie boots are a bit of a false economy.
Bang on 👍
i thought my TCX was the best ever but i got some Daytona Trans Open GTX and there the best by a mile without question
I wont bore you with how good they are but there the very best
If your not the lead dog the view never change's
mark vb

Post by mark vb »

diggermanbob wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:12 pm Mark do they come up good on size or do you need to go size bigger than shoe size.
I think I had to go half a UK size bigger than my normal shoe size. However, they are only sized in the continental foot scale, so I just chose the size which felt best (45). When I later compared this to the UK foot scale it translated to half a size bigger than my usual Hush Puppies/Doc Martens etc.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

OK, now you've got me looking at Daytonas.

I've never owned a pair, but I know they are pretty much the best.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

But this young lady has almost the same bike as me so maybe I should follow her lead...

simonw

Post by simonw »

+1 for Daytona Road Star GTX. 11 years of utterly amateur leisure road riding and still as comfy as anything on the walk to Starbucks ;-)
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

I don’t remember your legs being that good.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Cornishman wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:23 am I don’t remember your legs being that good.
The Alzheimer's must be kicking in then David...
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

What will you use the original boots for?

You could save yourself a few cents by taking them to a shoe repairer and getting them re-soled (grind down what is there and attach a new rougher wearing surface) or just roughen up the surface enough to be grippy.

The advantage with Daytona though, is that the can be re-soled, repaired and generally refurbished for many years, so can be viewed as quite cheap in the long run.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Elmer J Fudd wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:06 am What will you use the original boots for?

You could save yourself a few cents by taking them to a shoe repairer and getting them re-soled (grind down what is there and attach a new rougher wearing surface) or just roughen up the surface enough to be grippy.

The advantage with Daytona though, is that the can be re-soled, repaired and generally refurbished for many years, so can be viewed as quite cheap in the long run.
Nice idea Elmer, but the A-Star Supertech Rs are for track use. I used to race in them all the time, and do track days etc. They are the very best for that and I wouldn't want to muck about with them. And I haven't totally given up on track time yet. I've thought about it, but I'm not there yet, especially with one of France's finest circuits half an hour from me.

No, I'll buy something new just for road use. I used to wear Sidis for the road and I have an old pair that you can see your toe through the front! I suppose they could be repaired, but it might take several experienced people to fix them

- sounds like a load of old cobblers to me... :lol:
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

daveuprite wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:40 am OK, now you've got me looking at Daytonas.

I've never owned a pair, but I know they are pretty much the best.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

But this young lady has almost the same bike as me so maybe I should follow her lead...

Bet she likes that big engine throbbing :lol:
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

diggermanbob wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:04 pm
Bet she likes that big engine throbbing :lol:

Stop dribbling over her and show us some pics of your new Ducati...

Return to “CLOTHING”