Camp shoes. What do you wear?

Does my ass look big in these?
NeilM

Camp shoes. What do you wear?

Post by NeilM »

I recently did my first ever moto camping trip, seven days and 2000 miles up to and around Scotland.... wonderful.

However, as I was keeping my packing relatively light, I only had one pair of walking trainers for wearing when not on the bike. Fine when it's dry, not so good when it is wet and you are packing up.

I had a dry bag I could put the trainers in when on the move, but packing the bike in the rain was a PIA as it either meant changing shoes and socks before I could get going, or pack up the camp wearing my motorcycle boots. Also, even when dry, I would arrive at my next camp site with soaking wet trainers.

What are the other options, if any?
Toe

Re: Camp shoes. What do you wear?

Post by Toe »

Tbh when I'm packing I'll be in my bike gear because I'll try and get as much as possible packed.

Saying that I always have a pair of flip flops regardless, basically wipe dry or you can just attach them to the outside of your luggage.
I've also used Karrimor "walking sandals". They're like a closed toe sandal so are generally fine for walking around and usually dry quickly but have some holes to attach externally.
Taken Crocs before as well but they didn't really compress down quite enough for my liking. Vans now do a similar material shoe (slip on TRK) to Crocs that look like they'd compress better so I imagine there are now cheap copies.
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM
Hall

Post by Hall »

Stilettos :shock:
Aka "jkay"
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Hall wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:21 pm Stilettos :shock:
Whatever floats yer boat.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Well you did ask for camp shoes. These are Dorothy's best friends....
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:47 am Using these all my life.... https://www.dubarry.com/ie/men/footwear ... brown?c=61
These do look very versatile, should hope so too at 165 Euros!

Flip flops for lightweight camp, You don't have to pack them when they are wet just secure them under a Rockstrap. Hiking boots for heavy camp but that's not an option for me just now with the tiny bike.

Like Toe, I get all my jobs done and when it's time to pack I put on the bottom half of my biker gear, I leave the top half as it's too warm and restrictive. That way I can kneel down to pack the tent without getting wet knees. I hang my jacket etc on the bike until it's all done.

One of the things I really like about lightweight camping/travelling is the bizarre but strict routines you have to get into so that everything works right.

Cheers

Bren
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I take a pair of kayak shoes like these:

Cheap and cheerful.
9-Mishansha-Mens-Womens-Water-Shoes-Quick-Dry-Barefoot-for-Swim-Diving-Surf-Aqua-Sports-Pool-Beach-Walking-Yoga.jpg
9-Mishansha-Mens-Womens-Water-Shoes-Quick-Dry-Barefoot-for-Swim-Diving-Surf-Aqua-Sports-Pool-Beach-Walking-Yoga.jpg (23.54 KiB) Viewed 3936 times
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
NeilM

Post by NeilM »

Those kayak shoes look interesting, I'll take a look.

I set up camp wearing my riding gear on one evening of my recent trip, but as I prefer to ride in leather motorcycling trousers, breaking camp in the wet would end up a pretty slow and cumbersome business.
gbags

Post by gbags »

It’s a very tricky problem.

Hiking boots can work for riding but if you have really wet conditions you’ll have wet feet.
You need something to wear for off the bike too.
If you’re in cap sites you need something for showers.
How about proper bike boots (but they ‘re way too hot in hot countries), Merrill type trainers that you can hike in but also walk around town, into bars etc and a pair of flip flops or those cool kayak pumps for showers, swimming etc.

If you’re on a smaller bike and the above is too much, fuck it - one pair of trainers for everything.

Return to “CLOTHING”