Camp shoes. What do you wear?

Does my ass look big in these?
NeilM

Re: Camp shoes. What do you wear?

Post by NeilM »

That's the situation I was in on my trip. I had my riding boots, a pair of 'walking' trainers and a pair of flip flops.

The trainers got a bit wet on one evening setup and got thoroughly soaked the next morning when breaking camp, partly because the bike had to be parked a short distance from where I was allowed to camp, so I ended up with soaking trainers and socks.

I changed my socks ok and put on my boots for the day, but at the end of that day I was left with a dry bag that had soaking wet trainers in, so bike boots and flip flops were what I lived in.

This was my last camp of the trip, so really it was not an issue but I just wondered if there were any better options than squelching round a wet camp in wet trainers.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

If I am camping I tend to either wear Altberg Hoggs or gortex lined army surplus boots. Comfortable enough to walk round in all day and offer as much protection as a lot of dedicated motorcycle boots. If I am going for more than on night I have a pair of Trek sandals which have lasted at least ten years.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Brenhden wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:53 am
92kk k100lt 193214 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:47 am Using these all my life.... https://www.dubarry.com/ie/men/footwear ... brown?c=61
These do look very versatile, should hope so too at 165 Euros!

Flip flops for lightweight camp, You don't have to pack them when they are wet just secure them under a Rockstrap. Hiking boots for heavy camp but that's not an option for me just now with the tiny bike.

Like Toe, I get all my jobs done and when it's time to pack I put on the bottom half of my biker gear, I leave the top half as it's too warm and restrictive. That way I can kneel down to pack the tent without getting wet knees. I hang my jacket etc on the bike until it's all done.

One of the things I really like about lightweight camping/travelling is the bizarre but strict routines you have to get into so that everything works right.

Cheers

Bren
You are of course right if I bought them new for camping, but I don't. I buy them first for good wear, then they get relegated to casual and camping, then workshop then to gardening. Getting the most out of them. My friend owns the shop so I get a good discount too. Very durable.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I have a pair of Montane camp bootie for when I`m hammock camping, they have a decent soft sole that grip, and are insulated, they pack down into a small stuff sack & Cost around £40
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ties-p4766
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Maybe something like walking sandals: https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/16005330/p ... l-16005330 :?:

If it's warm, your feet stay cool, if it's cold then wear a pair of socks :oops: and if it's wet your feet will get wet, but hopefully your socks won't get wet as you won't need to wear them. Dry out fairly quickly, low weight, and the right ones are comfortable to do long walks in them.
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

I tend to combine biking to the mountain holidays with walking in the mountain holidays. I walk in hiking shoes that look like trainers and take up very little space. They are fine for all my non riding time and I take flip flops for showers. I tend to pack up wearing shorts and a t-shirt, if the ground is really wet I wear my biking boots if not the hiking shoes.
Womble

Post by Womble »

Jak* wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:08 am If I am camping I tend to either wear Altberg Hoggs or gortex lined army surplus boots. Comfortable enough to walk round in all day and offer as much protection as a lot of dedicated motorcycle boots. If I am going for more than on night I have a pair of Trek sandals which have lasted at least ten years.
+1 My preference when camping with the bike is to wear Altberg Hoggs, with posh flip flops for mincing around the tent stuff. My Hoggs are now almost 20 years old and have to be worn with waterproof socks - also worth considering .

On the cross, I also occasionally taken them/other trainers, but use a short tie down to squash them for travel and keep in a plastic bag, attached to outside of bags as they'e bulky
Enfield Himalayan... apparently they're Marmite... not keen on Marmite, but like Vegemite
YBR125... the little adventure steed of awesomeness

Return to “CLOTHING”