Who needs CE approved gear.

Does my ass look big in these?
zimtim

Re: Who needs CE approved gear.

Post by zimtim »

Every year withoutfail this subject gets brought up.

Whilst it might make you cringe at the thought of him sliding down the road ripping the skin off of his arse cheeks.
Hes probably looking at you and gringing at the thought of the sweat pooling around your bollocks.

Let other ride and dress how they want it is not impacting on you in anyway what so ever so dont worry about.
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

If we are being righteous, why are we not calling out the zillions of cyclists who ride at 30-40 mph downhill wearing kit with all the impact and abrasion protection of a string vest?

Popping to the shops on a motorcycle in jeans and t shirt is overdressed by comparison.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

As others have said it is about personal choice and often riding gear is a compromise between protection and comfort. It is far easier and cheaper to get reasonable quality gear now than it was forty years ago. Personally I can’t see how anyone can ride without gloves, or with training shoes particularly in winter. A friend who was a heart surgeon used to call those who rode with 300 quid crash helmets and shorts and trainers, donors.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Jak* wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:07 am A friend who was a heart surgeon used to call those who rode with 300 quid crash helmets and shorts and trainers, donors.
Blimey Jak - I haven't spent as much as 300 quid on a helmet for a long time. I had a very good (and expensive) Arai for racing, years ago, but otherwise I tend to spend maybe 150-250 on a road bike helmet and about 100-150 on enduro helmets.

Does it really make that much difference to safety how much you spend? As long as it's passed the CE tests, I only differentiate according to fit and finish. Mind you, my head isn't particularly valuable anyway - there's less and less going on in there each day...
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

daveuprite wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:20 am
Jak* wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:07 am A friend who was a heart surgeon used to call those who rode with 300 quid crash helmets and shorts and trainers, donors.
Blimey Jak - I haven't spent as much as 300 quid on a helmet for a long time. I had a very good (and expensive) Arai for racing, years ago, but otherwise I tend to spend maybe 150-250 on a road bike helmet and about 100-150 on enduro helmets.

Does it really make that much difference to safety how much you spend? As long as it's passed the CE tests, I only differentiate according to fit and finish. Mind you, my head isn't particularly valuable anyway - there's less and less going on in there each day...
I think the point is that Helmet alone is not enough to save us. I guess we should armour all the bits that we want to keep...
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Brenhden wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:42 am
daveuprite wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:20 am

I think the point is that Helmet alone is not enough to save us. I guess we should armour all the bits that we want to keep...
Ah... I get it Bren. Sorry Jak, I see what you're saying now. Well I did say I was losing it didn't I ? :lol:
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

When I'm whizzing along a country lane at 60mph on my way to the Green Lanes I'm not sure how much good the light enduro trousers & top will do if I do come off, I have armour underneath, but my skin would be gone....

But that's the risk I'm happy to take, rather than potentially dying of heat stroke after a few hours of banging around in the dirt on a summers day.... :D

D

Return to “CLOTHING”