O'neal MX boots

Does my ass look big in these?
Richard Simpson Mark II

O'neal MX boots

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

O'neal MX boots seem to be on offer at very good prices at the moment.

Has anyone tried them, and are they any good?
Nico-D

Re: O'neal MX boots

Post by Nico-D »

I had a pair, can't remember which model. I bought them as a very lightly used secondhand pair a few years ago, had no issues with them in a couple of years trail use, comfy and not overly heavy for a mx boot. I gave them to a mate who is still using them as I found a pair of Gaernes for a good price .

My opinion, fwiw, is that the O'neals were pretty good for a bottom of the range cheap mx boot especially compared to the low end alpinstars of which I've seen a few disintigrate. Quality might have changed since then though, have you seen this ?

Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:19 pm O'neal MX boots seem to be on offer at very good prices at the moment.

Has anyone tried them, and are they any good?
I've got a pair I got from j&s a while back for about £100. They're ok but went fairly flexible on the ankles from too much abuse. I put them somewhere between forma adventures and 661 full on Motocross boots.

If I'm going road riding I'll take the formas, gentle trail riding or a few days "adventure riding" (road and off road tour) I'll take the O'Neal's and hard off road or racing I'll take the 661's.

Non are waterproof though so sealskins socks are the order of the day :roll:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Nico-D wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:10 am I had a pair, can't remember which model. I bought them as a very lightly used secondhand pair a few years ago, had no issues with them in a couple of years trail use, comfy and not overly heavy for a mx boot. I gave them to a mate who is still using them as I found a pair of Gaernes for a good price .

My opinion, fwiw, is that the O'neals were pretty good for a bottom of the range cheap mx boot especially compared to the low end alpinstars of which I've seen a few disintigrate. Quality might have changed since then though, have you seen this ?

Very interesting...I suspect that most boots these days are made by contractors in various low-wage countries.

I once went to a truck assembly plant in Tunisia: Renault, Iveco and Scania trucks all rolling down 3 parallel lines in the same building! Those trucks weren't going to EU markets, but were being exported across North Africa.
I've still got a pair of original Made in Italy Alpine Stars from the early 1990s....hard as nails now, and stitching has needed redoing a couple of times but pretty solid.
I also have some Oxtars (company set up by disgruntled Italians sacked when Alpine Stars off-shored production), made in Italy
Oxtar became TCX after legal action from Alpine Stars, and I have a pair of TCX boots which were 'made in Italy' but stitched together in Romania.
IIRC about 20 years ago there were some shocking Alpine Star branded boots made in China, with glue rather than thread...I don't know if they were genuine or not. I recall UK Rob regaling us all with his experience of them on the TBM forum. He'd certainly paid 'Alpine Stars money' for them and was very upset.

Having seen Tunisian leatherworkers, knowing that boots were made in Tunisia would not put me off...Tunisia was famous for its craftsmanship even 2000 years ago. And in the days of the Middle East Run, UK truckers going in either direction would always get their repairs and modifications done in Turkey: those boys could fix or make anything and would charge a fair price for the job too.

Less sure about China...left to their own devices Chinese factories will always go for quantity not quality...it's the way their economy works.

Return to “CLOTHING”