MX Boots

Does my ass look big in these?
qcnr

MX Boots

Post by qcnr »

I did a quick search, but couldn't find anything specific, just general comments about MX boots.
Does anybody use MX boots for riding?
What are the advantages?
What are the disadvantages of using them for touring/ every day riding?

I need some new boots, as my GAERNE boots are now nearing 8 years old and starting to leak, resulting in wet feet.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: MX Boots

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Yes, I've always used MX boots for trail riding. My experience of 'trail' boots is that they fall apart very quickly.

Here are the pros and cons of MX boots

Pro

Unrivalled protection for your feet and lower legs

Long-lasting

Cons

Inflexible, no feel

Heavy

Not nice to walk in

Not waterproof

If you have a proper off-road bike with metal pegs and ride it properly (ie standing) you will find the metal pegs eat their way through the soles/insteps of fake 'adventure' or 'trail' boots. Said boots probably won't protect your shins from the pegs either.

A possible compromise might be trials boots which have more feel, but less protection, than MX boots.

If you do go for MX boots, try to get a pair with 'gripper' rather than 'slipper' soles, as they are better for trail riding.

Remember that injuries to the foot are invariably complex, painful and take ages to heal. Once your feet are buggered, any exercise becomes difficult and your health and mobility suffer.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:32 am Said boots probably won't protect your shins from the pegs either.

Have found that out already on a simple slow topple in a slippery ditch. Although walked away with nothing more
than a multi coloured shin...
But was sore for several days :?
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

My autumn, winter, spring boot of choice is a TCX Goretex touring boot, which they appear not to make any more.

If has an MX-style buckle at the bottom and a velcro flap up the leg. There is a shin guard, too.

I find them good in all weathers/conditions, but would only use them on the road.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

pretty much as Richard has already said if you are intending doing anything where your feet lower legs are at risk MX boots are the way to go, I wear the boots as above TCX Infinity discontinued now for winter wet road riding, cheapie RST for dry/local riding, Sidi Adventures for mild trail rideing or trips , Sidi Crossfire MX on a dedicated trail trip/day, just done a week of trails in the crossfires they are not for going for a walk in thats for sure but perfectly manageable for a riding day/trip. Note the crossfires are particularly hard core the inner calf being all plastic and very hard on any contact points with the bike ie on my GS1200 my seat cover has been worn through at the bottom, if your a shorter rider MX are also heaver and inevitably end up marking lovely arcs over the top of the bike. Steel toecaps can also pose extra risk of damaging the top of the bike especially when they become worn and damaged. If like me and you ride solo alot at the end of a trail day in Wales you will know all about these issues off, open gate, on, off, close gate on and so forth. But take it from me busted up ankles aint a good way to learn.

Return to “CLOTHING”