Recommendations for really hot weather bike gear.

Does my ass look big in these?
OnHellas

Re: Recommendations for really hot weather bike gear.

Post by OnHellas »

Flipflop wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:53 am Klim gear is excellent in hot weather.
With all the vents open the trousers are like shorts, very comfortable to walk around in.
When we did a tour of the states, including Death Valley, those wearing Klim were vocally more comfortable - that said my wife’s BMW jacket, with C-Change was excellent too.
My 4/5 year old Klim jacket started leaking, I sent it to the Netherlands where the Gortex was tested and failed. I was sent a brand new, latest model jacket.
The zip on my trousers broke, after 9 years of almost daily use (it’s still in excellent condition) I’ve sent it back to be mended - I await the outcome.

I agree about base layers - bamboo pants and wick away undershirt, screwfix sell a decent wick away polo shirt for about £8.

And hydration - we bought 3 litre Kriega hydro packs for the states and wished we bought them years ago - what a difference to hot weather riding......no any weather riding - little sips of water as you go along keep you refreshed and alert, you’ll also need less stops so progress is improved.
Me too for the hydration pack. A very important piece of safety equipment.
I have also found the Klim Badlands stuff good in all weathers. Cheap it ain’t, but 5 years warranty.
poldark

Post by poldark »

OnHellas wrote:
gbags wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 pm https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... v0QAvD_BwE

Held Sambia gloves are ventilated but very tough. I’ve used them in some really hot countries and they are the best, though pricey.
+1 on the Held Sambia Gloves. Excellent.
For a budget option I've used these for a while and despite how cheap they are they're comfortable, well vented and fitted with a touchscreen finger.

Clearly the level of protection won't match pricier options and I've not tested them (thankfully) but for casual use or a backup pair I certainly recommend them.

Be aware there are other cheaper suppliers, but they don't include the touchscreen digit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324144340561

Sent from my motorola one using Tapatalk

gbags

Post by gbags »

Flipflop wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:53 am And hydration - we bought 3 litre Kriega hydro packs for the states and wished we bought them years ago - what a difference to hot weather riding......no any weather riding - little sips of water as you go along keep you refreshed and alert, you’ll also need less stops so progress is improved.
Did you wear the hydration pack on your back? I put a 2 litre Camelback in the pouch of my twat suit in a hot country but it sat there like a hot water bottle and made my back sweat hugely. I ended up with it in my tank bag.

Is there a better way?
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Wore as back pack. It doesn’t interfere with my exhaust vents on the jacket. It does with my wife’s but I think the C-Change in the BMW gear works well - she’s never had a problem - don’t forget drinking water at regular intervals will keep you cool anyway.
You can get a water pack tank bag - Noraly (itchy boots) uses one, she found the back pack too heavy - I don’t know the make but she’s sponsored by RevIt .........

Of course 90+% humidity means that you’ll sweat no matter what you wear - the locals use shorts, t-shirts and flip flops.
However in high temperature, dry heat clothing is cooler than bare skin.
:D

BTW the Kriega bags seem to be well insulated as the water stays cool for a decent amount of time - just make sure you blow the residual water in the pipe back into the bag when finishing a drink - otherwise you’re first mouthful of water next time you suck could be hot :shock: :lol:
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I have never ridden in the hot spots that some of you folks visit, touring France in August is about as hot as I can do.

My little recommendation for hot weather, in fact all year round in trials events, is to apply a good sprinkle of Johnsons Baby Powder around the crown jewels. Hope never to need medical assistance in that area or it could be embarrassing :roll:

I also use it when changing tyres and tubes as replacement for 'french chalk', if you can smell a baby out on the trail then you know you've got a puncture :lol:

TTFN

Hugh.
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I use white Under Armor heatgear baselayers, if I’m using the full mess jacket I make sure I wear long sleeved baselayers to avoid sunburn or wind burn. I have a 3 litre camelbak that I wear on my back, and I have a camelbak bladder that I can fit in the tankbag if I’m going on shorter rides. The 3 litre has insulation in the pouch, and an insulated drinks tube, to keep the water cool. The last time I was in southern Spain in the heat I added some cycling hydration powder to the water, to maintain the salts.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Thanks for all the replies, there is some really useful information here. The first time I rode to Portugal I didn’t even think about what to wear because there was not the variety of gear. I had a pair of jeans, a pair of cheap waterproof trousers, combat boots, ex army heavy denim shirt and a Belstaff Cordura jacket. I rode through snow in the Pyrenees and absolutely baking hot days in Southern Spain and Gibraltar. This was about twenty five years ago and I was obviously invincible then. The choice of gear now is great but can also be somewhat overwhelming,
Cheers
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

Revit Eclipse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
ErikGustav2

Post by ErikGustav2 »

Long tima ago:
Jeans.

I the "good" old days I always used leather suit
For protection.
Boiling when it was hot.
Freezing when it was cold
But safe.

Then I spent some time in USA (WI,IL)
They had only one rule: Protect your eyes.
Shorts, T-shirts and Sun glasses

But, now for hot days in Portugal (short rides) I just put an protectors.
It is like a west with protectors.
Brought it from Sweden

https://www.biltema.se/bil---mc/mc/pers ... 2000035926

Protective jacket with all the protection you need for the upper body.

Adjustable elbow pads, shoulder pads, chest pads and detachable back pads with built-in kidney belt.
Strong stretch net fabric with good ventilation.
Collar and cuffs in comfortable stretch.
Holes for thumbs at the cuffs for best fixation.
Zipper in the front.
CE approved
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Have you looked at Knox clothing?

Return to “CLOTHING”