Recommendations for really hot weather bike gear.

Does my ass look big in these?
Agent Orange

Re: Recommendations for really hot weather bike gear.

Post by Agent Orange »

Went to Italy 2 years ago, on the KTM Rally, hit 35+ degrees. I have a Klim jacket which i use all year, (if you don't know, they are not insulated in any way) it was superb, yes it does get hot when not moving (never stop in the sun, always in the shade where possible) it has more waterproof zips than zippy. Airflow is key, front to back and arms. So the airflows through the jacket. With strap points on Jacket to keep the armour in place in case.
I use a heated waistcoat in winter and helly hanson stuff in summer etc. Pertex windstoper. I have an old down graded jacket for commuting with vents.
I would buy a decent jacket that is suitable for everything you need. Bonded gortex or similar. Cant see the point of buying a jacket with seperate gortex style liner.
Gloves and trousers are important too, well vented trousers as above and good protection on gloves as well as ventilation.
Plenty of choices out there. BTW I brought my Klim 2nd hand, in VGC 4 years ago, jacket is superb, a bit like Oakleys once you buy a pair your hooked :mrgreen:
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I have a two piece HG full mesh suit that I’ve had for a long time, use this with an evap vest that you pre-soak with water, so as long as you’ve got airflow it’s good for Southern Europe in July, I’ve used it when in Granada and Seville when it was 47’c. Though if your stuck in traffic you’ll still boil
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Peirre wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:04 pm I have a two piece HG full mesh suit that I’ve had for a long time, use this with an evap vest that you pre-soak with water, so as long as you’ve got airflow it’s good for Southern Europe in July, I’ve used it when in Granada and Seville when it was 47’c. Though if your stuck in traffic you’ll still boil
Anything will be hot if stuck in traffic, so it depends on the faff factor. For me, having a laminate suit with plenty of vents is less faff than putting on / off a waterproof layer. Teamed up with an evaporative jacket it'll work on most days on a bike. If it's stupidly hot, you probably can't drink enough to keep hydrated / the body temperature low enough. And, you're still wearing a helmet which if its 35 degrees C plus, which is cooler / better opening the visor or closing it?
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

One aspect to consider is what you’re wearing underneath the jacket.
Cotton T-Shirts soak up perspiration, don’t dry and are heavy.
Some of the modern technical base and mid layers do
a much better job with temperature regulation.

As has been said, if it’s really hot, you’ll get hot. Staying hydrated is paramount.

I’m not convinced on some of the mesh jackets re their abrasion strength etc.
spangle

Post by spangle »

I used a Klim Badlands with plenty of zips/vents last year in Spain in 40+ deg and it was fine when moving. My big mistake was wearing cotton t-shirt & boxer shorts underneath - I had to wring them out at the end of each day.

This year going armed with merino wool base layers in socks, boxers, long johns & long sleeved top to soak it all up & spit it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Spangle
Don't were boxers or undies mate. Just wear helly Hanson or similar long John's. Not merino wool. I wear helly Hanson's, end of the day jump in the shower and wash em out in the shampoo, dry by the morning.or put em straight back on.
Plus Boxers etc crease up and that's one of the main causes for sore arse syndrome on the bike. :shock:
spangle

Post by spangle »

Cheers AO

I've gone for merino wool because they're better for getting rid of body moisture & stying dry in use. They're also great in winter for warmth. I bought a pair of Smartwool boxers a few months ago & they're designed not to ride up yer 'arris - & they don't. I've since also bought a pair of EDZ boxers with the same attributes.

I probably will just wear the long johns in Spain to stop my sweaty legs coming into contact with the inside of my strides.

Now counting the days down...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gbags

Post by gbags »

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... v0QAvD_BwE

Held Sambia gloves are ventilated but very tough. I’ve used them in some really hot countries and they are the best, though pricey.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

gbags wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:13 pm https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... v0QAvD_BwE

Held Sambia gloves are ventilated but very tough. I’ve used them in some really hot countries and they are the best, though pricey.
+1 on the Held Sambia Gloves. Excellent.
Flipflop

Post by Flipflop »

Klim gear is excellent in hot weather.
With all the vents open the trousers are like shorts, very comfortable to walk around in.
When we did a tour of the states, including Death Valley, those wearing Klim were vocally more comfortable - that said my wife’s BMW jacket, with C-Change was excellent too.
My 4/5 year old Klim jacket started leaking, I sent it to the Netherlands where the Gortex was tested and failed. I was sent a brand new, latest model jacket.
The zip on my trousers broke, after 9 years of almost daily use (it’s still in excellent condition) I’ve sent it back to be mended - I await the outcome.

I agree about base layers - bamboo pants and wick away undershirt, screwfix sell a decent wick away polo shirt for about £8.

And hydration - we bought 3 litre Kriega hydro packs for the states and wished we bought them years ago - what a difference to hot weather riding......no any weather riding - little sips of water as you go along keep you refreshed and alert, you’ll also need less stops so progress is improved.

Return to “CLOTHING”