Goretex Suit Query

Does my ass look big in these?
Bridgend

Goretex Suit Query

Post by Bridgend »

First post so please be gentle.

I'm building up my kit in preparation for my first solo trip to the Pyrenees in September. I know it's not that adventurous but we have to start somewhere :D .

I've had an extremely good deal on a Richa Atlantic Goretex jacket and trousers and want to know if the material will 'give' over time. The jacket is a lovely fit but the trousers are a little too snug around the arse and thigh area. I've sat on my bike (Africa Twin) and while not uncomfortable, I'm concerned my arse will go numb over time if the material won't stretch a little. The hip armour is not removable but there is a bit more room with the liner taken out. Hopefully the weather in France in early September will be such that I don't need the liner but I still want to get out during the colder months.

Cheers in advance and I look forward to at least seeing some of you at the ABR weekend (my first) in July.
Tramp

Re: Goretex Suit Query

Post by Tramp »

You won't need gortex in September in pyrenees unless you like boil in the bag.... Far better is your normal vented jacket and a throw over rain suit either one or 2 piece..

I'm out in pyrenees in late June... Its a nice place so don't rush.. If your going by ferry to northern Spain hope you've booked as its full lol..
RandG

Post by RandG »

As above, early September should be nice and toasty though I've found that anything before 10am can be a tad chilly on the hands, though it's been mid September when I've went, also it was more the Spanish Pyrenees I did.

Sorry that's of no help to you in regards your breeks :oops:
Bridgend

Post by Bridgend »

Tramp wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:29 pm You won't need gortex in September in pyrenees unless you like boil in the bag.... Far better is your normal vented jacket and a throw over rain suit either one or 2 piece..

I'm out in pyrenees in late June... Its a nice place so don't rush.. If your going by ferry to northern Spain hope you've booked as its full lol..
Thanks for the advice. I've got a rain suit that packs small I'll judge the forecasts closer to the time. I really appreciate your comment on ferry bookings. You were correct so I'm now going a couple of days later than originally planned. September 6th.

Do you have any experience on whether I can expect my trousers to give a bit?
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

They only way they'll fit is if you lose a few pounds.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Gortex isn't designed to stretch.... And it blokes wind so ain't good when it's 30c... Its fine in spring autumn or Scotland lol..

I'm a layer man vented top and bottoms with oversuit for showers.. Or don't bother when it's hot as you soon dry out...

You can mix and match clothes, I've klim bottoms and hein gericke top.. More function or fashion..
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

as said very unlilkely you will get any give in textile gear. The Pyrenees will be a cracking adventure for you, If you need any local input I'm just down the road at the end of the M4 been around the Pyrenees a bit too just call out or pm, also going to the festival to and a couple of others up this way also, otherwise see ya around maybe.
a pic of my old donkey in winter trim with aux lights fitted-quite noticeable
DSCN0011.JPG
DSCN0011.JPG (134.04 KiB) Viewed 3946 times
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

Over the years of testing gear at ABR I've found that, just like boots, jackets and trousers need to be worn in for them to be as comfortable as possible. I've worn countless jackets and trousers that have felt too restrictive (some so much so that sitting on a saddle was almost impossible), but on most occasions they've loosened up after a few hundred miles of wear.

I can't say for certain that your trousers would do that, and if they really are too tight you should pass on them or hop on a diet, but if they're just that little bit too restrictive (and I mean a little bit), you'll probably get away with it. At the end of the day though, it's a bit of a risk when you could just keep shopping around and find a pair that fit you perfectly.
Bridgend

Post by Bridgend »

Bryn wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:31 am Over the years of testing gear at ABR I've found that, just like boots, jackets and trousers need to be worn in for them to be as comfortable as possible. I've worn countless jackets and trousers that have felt too restrictive (some so much so that sitting on a saddle was almost impossible), but on most occasions they've loosened up after a few hundred miles of wear.

I can't say for certain that your trousers would do that, and if they really are too tight you should pass on them or hop on a diet, but if they're just that little bit too restrictive (and I mean a little bit), you'll probably get away with it. At the end of the day though, it's a bit of a risk when you could just keep shopping around and find a pair that fit you perfectly.
Wise words Dan. I went and tried some more pants today and I'm going to stick with the ones I have. It maybe my imagination but they feel better today. I'm not small by any stretch but I'm not a fatty. I don't drink, I eat sensibly and run most days. I guess I'll just have to work that little bit harder :lol:
bikenav wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:32 pm as said very unlilkely you will get any give in textile gear. The Pyrenees will be a cracking adventure for you, If you need any local input I'm just down the road at the end of the M4 been around the Pyrenees a bit too just call out or pm, also going to the festival to and a couple of others up this way also, otherwise see ya around maybe.
a pic of my old donkey in winter trim with aux lights fitted-quite noticeable
DSCN0011.JPG
Thanks mate, nice to see another local on here. I'll drop you a DM before the ABR weekend and make a plan to say hello if that's OK.
Jonesy Boy

Post by Jonesy Boy »

Bridgend wrote:First post so please be gentle.

I'm building up my kit in preparation for my first solo trip to the Pyrenees in September. I know it's not that adventurous but we have to start somewhere :D .

I've had an extremely good deal on a Richa Atlantic Goretex jacket and trousers and want to know if the material will 'give' over time. The jacket is a lovely fit but the trousers are a little too snug around the arse and thigh area. I've sat on my bike (Africa Twin) and while not uncomfortable, I'm concerned my arse will go numb over time if the material won't stretch a little. The hip armour is not removable but there is a bit more room with the liner taken out. Hopefully the weather in France in early September will be such that I don't need the liner but I still want to get out during the colder months.

Cheers in advance and I look forward to at least seeing some of you at the ABR weekend (my first) in July.
I've got the Richa Atlantic Gore-Tex suit and I also found the trousers a bit snug at first...but as Bryn said after a good few hundred miles kit seems to get more comfortable. I don't know if it gives a little, starts to mould and form around your personal shape...or maybe you just get used to the kit. Whichever it is...I always find after a few good runs new kit feels just as good as my old favourites.

I love my Richa kit BTW. Massively underrated in my opinion Image

Enjoy the planning/prep and the trip to the Pyrenees

Jonesy

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Return to “CLOTHING”