Goretex Suit Query

Does my ass look big in these?
Bridgend

Re: Goretex Suit Query

Post by Bridgend »

Jonesy Boy wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:09 pm
Bridgend wrote:First post so please be gentle.

I'm building up my kit in preparation for my first solo trip to the Pyrenees in September. I know it's not that adventurous but we have to start somewhere :D .

I've had an extremely good deal on a Richa Atlantic Goretex jacket and trousers and want to know if the material will 'give' over time. The jacket is a lovely fit but the trousers are a little too snug around the arse and thigh area. I've sat on my bike (Africa Twin) and while not uncomfortable, I'm concerned my arse will go numb over time if the material won't stretch a little. The hip armour is not removable but there is a bit more room with the liner taken out. Hopefully the weather in France in early September will be such that I don't need the liner but I still want to get out during the colder months.

Cheers in advance and I look forward to at least seeing some of you at the ABR weekend (my first) in July.
I've got the Richa Atlantic Gore-Tex suit and I also found the trousers a bit snug at first...but as Bryn said after a good few hundred miles kit seems to get more comfortable. I don't know if it gives a little, starts to mould and form around your personal shape...or maybe you just get used to the kit. Whichever it is...I always find after a few good runs new kit feels just as good as my old favourites.

I love my Richa kit BTW. Massively underrated in my opinion Image

Enjoy the planning/prep and the trip to the Pyrenees

Jonesy

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
From one new boy to another; Thanks Jonesy. I'm pleased to hear you rate the Richa stuff, for what I paid for the suit I can't see anything else coming close. I hope I feel the same once I've given it a thorough testing.

I'm looking forward to getting some miles under my wheels with some longer (and camping) trips this year. I'm stoked about the Pyrenees and I'm enjoying the planning, its all part of the fun.

I appreciate the advice of the more experienced members here. Cheers.
Dansin

Post by Dansin »

I’ve had a Klim Traverse Gore-Tex jacket for a couple of years. Layered up with base and mid layer its a perfect, snug fit. There’s absolutely no give in it though. I can’t wear it with an armour top.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

I have the Klim Badlands suit, and found it was very stiff from new but after its first wash it did soften up quite a bit and is much better now. I prefer to have loose fitting clobber, as the tight stuff doesn't really do it for my unflattering figure lol.... :lol:
markoh

Post by markoh »

Tramp wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:07 pm Gortex isn't designed to stretch.... And it blokes wind so ain't good when it's 30c... Its fine in spring autumn or Scotland lol..

I'm a layer man vented top and bottoms with oversuit for showers.. Or don't bother when it's hot as you soon dry out...

You can mix and match clothes, I've klim bottoms and hein gericke top.. More function or fashion..
Totally agree. Invest in a vented suit e.g. Rev'it Tornado, a set of breathable waterproofs and add layers as necessary e.g. heated jacket. A vented suit with waterproofs on top traps a lot of air and is quite warm. add a thermal layer or two and you have a system which will work all year in comfort. Also waterproofs shed water, apart from the most expensive laminated suits, 'waterproof' suits suck up surface water, drip everywhere and loose a lot of heat through evaporation. Putting on a waterproof jacket when a bit chilly or it starts to rain is far easier than adding or removing liners and ending up with a soaking wet outer.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Goretex laminate suit with vents is the best of all worlds IMO.

No faffing around getting on / off the bike getting liners in / waterproofs over your other clothing every few minutes when there's showers about. It's cold, close the vents, it's warm open them, warm and wet, close them. When it's very warm then almost anything will be too hot, if it protects you from the sunshine.

Seeing the Tour de France last year, then what was needed was adaptable clothing, as it had 4 seasons in one day in the Alps and the Pyrenees has very similar weather in my experience.
Bridgend

Post by Bridgend »

I tried to do my homework before biting the bullet and choosing the Richa Atlantic suit. I looked at typical weather forecasts for the area, watched videos on YouTube showing changeable conditions and tried to buy the best I could reasonably afford and would be able to adapt to the conditions. I've got waterproofs but I didn't want the faff of putting them on and taking off.

I've see lots of people wearing Rukka and Klim and I'm sure those that do can give me lots of reasons why, but I just can't justify the cost. I've got a vented, laminated Goretex suit with armour and removable liners for the half the price of a Rukka or Klim jacket. I just need to know whether it'll give a bit to make it that little bit more comfortable. I guess I'll find out soon :D
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Bridgend wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:42 pm I've see lots of people wearing Rukka and Klim and I'm sure those that do can give me lots of reasons why, but I just can't justify the cost. I've got a vented, laminated Goretex suit with armour and removable liners for the half the price of a Rukka or Klim jacket. I just need to know whether it'll give a bit to make it that little bit more comfortable. I guess I'll find out soon :D
I've not been tempted by the Rukka kit as it seems to be designed for northern European temperatures, and I like the idea that the suit should be able to go to the south of France. Only had the Klim Traverse and Overland kit which seem to sit at the lower end of their range. No problems with them, but the new Oxford Mondial kit might be my next set of kit, got the Montreal 3 jacket and 2 trousers which coped really well in the Alps two years ago.

Hopefully your suit will become a little less snug :)
steve172

Post by steve172 »

How did you get on with your new suit? Has it eased off any?

I'm having the same quandary with a Stadler Supervent3 that I just got it. Its a size bigger than my old suit which felt a bit on the big side, but the Stadler feels pretty snug, especially with all my layers on.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Word of warning with the pig and knees September time, you can get all sorts of weather there that time of year, yes it can be glorious, but also storms, and snow, like when we visited last year, so make sure you have plenty of layers, and waterproof ones at that. I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

After having a Halvorssons suit for 8 years, I have gone to layers, which works well for me
even riding in Norway in Febuary.
I have a Knox armoured jacket and Klim Dakar trousers with added D3O armour in the pockets.
I carry a lightweight Gore Tex jacket and add layers suitable to the temperature.
Not sure I would want to go back to a do-it -all suit as they are heavy and not easy to adjust for varying
conditions. I remember being stuck in traffic in Germany in the summer once unable to filter properly
(ie keep moving) and boil in the bag comes to mind. :lol: :lol:

Return to “CLOTHING”