Hole in boot instep

Does my ass look big in these?
DavidS

Hole in boot instep

Post by DavidS »

My W2 boots have a reputation for their instep being damaged and, after some years, mine both have a small hole that goes through to the metal plate built into the sole unit.

My wet weather riding is now minimal but the boots are so comfy and in otherwise good condition, although the toes have slight leak that may be terminal if Nikwax/Dubbin doesn’t cure it. I’m wondering if there is a durable fix similar to squirting silicon but assuming said silicon wouldn’t last five minutes.

Otherwise it’s hoping I can get some Forma boots on the cheap at Excel. In three years time, I doubt I would be trail riding as I will be 68 and have even less ability than the miniscule bit I have now and horse trials may be all I’m bothered about.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by DavidS on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
zimtim

Re: Hole in boot instep

Post by zimtim »

Not sure but I would take them to a saddle maker.
They may well be able to make a decent repair.

Then I look to invest in pair of sealskinz socks.
DavidS

Re: Hole in boot instep from footpeg spikes

Post by DavidS »

zimtim wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:55 pm Not sure but I would take them to a saddle maker.
They may well be able to make a decent repair.

Then I look to invest in pair of sealskinz socks.
Do I mean instep? The footpeg spikes wear a hole in the underside between the sole and heel.
Title changed.

I went to our local cobbler wizard today but he’s semi retired and not open Saturdays.
I’d rather keep the water on the outside, not let it in and trust the socks - but I do have a pair that I haven’t needed for 6 years or so as the boots are so good.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I got my Forma boots here
https://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/search ... orma+boots

Not as comfy as my old W2 but then more substantial in protection, I can still wear them all day but not sure I could walk very many miles in them.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

My old battered A-star Tech 3s fell apart and I gave them another few months with the following stylish fix:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=47229&p=623684&hil ... rs#p623684

Silicon sealant will buy you some time, but ultimately when they start to collapse, it only goes one way. Entropy I'm afraid....
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Oops. They are W2, not W4.
I need to try them on as I have weird feet. High arch and instep and crunched toes so all my weight is on the balls of my feet and the heel, which makes firm soles incredibly painful...see ski boots. :(

Thinking the same Dave.
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I always find that my boots get really comfy just before they self-destruct .. they also develop a small leak at that point .. and always in my right boot, as that foot is slightly bigger and used more :lol: ... so i know the terminal evidence.
I usually try to patch things up, but this never works for long.
So my advice is to bite the bullet and buy NEW
Also .. to grind down both footpegs at the foot-stabbing area 8-) 8-)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I have a pair of leather sandals that are really comfy, but have lasted me years .. they came apart at several points but, as no cobbler would touch them, I stiched them with some thin wire using a pair of pliers 8-) :D .. i waz SO chuffed .. i still use them, for driving, work in the garden, building work, and going to the shops … but today, yes today, I went to Tescos and got some trainers for £14 … .. they are very comfy and i got them on now, to break them in , tho they are so weak that they dont really need breaking in …. I am just wearing them coz I like the idea of wearing some tidy shoes for a change :lol:

ps .. I am not a cheapskate … well... ok .. I AM :lol: 8-)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

PS ..

do not plan on giving things up just coz your age.

when you get older you will feel just the same age … but more determined 8-)
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Cheers guys.

Not really planning on giving up but, being mediocre at my riding heights (I didn’t start trail riding until I was 55), any avoidance of cold, wet, both or too technical riding reduces my desire to ride to spring and summer. Horse trials are odd, max 30 miles Or so, sometimes half that, and very controlled and restrictive stop start riding But I love watch cross country anyway and young ladies in vests and jodphurs on a sunny day helps.

Looks like it’s new boots.....
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R

Return to “CLOTHING”