Need some good insoels for plantar fasciitis?

Does my ass look big in these?
thebikerd

Need some good insoels for plantar fasciitis?

Post by thebikerd »

My feet have been giving me grief recently and I suspect im am developing plantar fasciitis.. I don't know if it was my bike what has caused it or my love of running but definitely one of them.

I was wondering if anyone knew any good insoles to buy? I have been looking around and have found quite a few different pairs online. I don't want to splash the boat out too much as im pretty skint at moment so "custom! insoles are out the question(if they even work). I just want some that will ease my pain and make riding as it was. Been looking at these which look pretty decent and cheap has anyone got any other suggestions as im all ears. Thank you!
Craig-SM

Re: Need some good insoels for plantar fasciitis?

Post by Craig-SM »

They will create more problems for you if you don’t have any pronation problems. If you’ve got plantar fasciitis then ease up on the running as it will only make it worse. When I got it I was recommended a foam roller and tennis ball with various exercises. It took about three weeks to feel the benefits but then it was quite rapid improvements. I still use them now especially for my calves.
lebowski

Post by lebowski »

I had PF for about a year, no idea what caused it, although it really flared up when I started coaching (and kicking footballs) again after about 3 years.

I tried custom insoles, which turned out to be useless according to the second podiatrist I visited. They modified them, which helped a little....

So I tried resting, physio, sports strapping, accupuncture (which seemed to help once the guy tried using the back of my knee as a pin cushion(!!).

But the biggest help was investing in a pair of Asics Kayano trainers. Not cheap, but they certainly seemed to do the trick.

I came to the conclusion that nothing was a fast cure, but by the time you've been suffering for six months, you'll try anything to relieve the pain and get back to normal. So be a pest at your docs, try everything you can before it becomes worse, because it isn't fun!
thebikerd

Post by thebikerd »

Thanks for your replies guys. craig-sm I think your right I wont get any insoles until I know what is causing my problems. Got an appointment with my doc in a week so hopefully he will be able to shed some light on my issue better.

Thanks for the shoe suggestion lebowski Iv been checking out those trainers online and do like the look of the asics gel kayano evo trainers... definitely an upgrade to the old granny orthopedic shoes I was looking at before.
Rolling my foot on a iced bottle is giving me some relief at the moment :)
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

Try the tennis ball instead of the ice bottle
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

If you are anywhere near Stourbridge give me a shout I'll pop a brew on and have a quick look for you and chuck some advice your way

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

my personal non-professional view is that
a firm shoe, for good support is needed .. ie new footwear (shoes, boots or trainers.)

I had this when I was a kid (but only now know the name thanks to this thread)
and I realised, it was from wearing cheap DAPS (welsh for trainers)
as there was very little support at the sides, and a weak thin sole.

when fairly recently I bought some cheap thin bike boots, I had pain in the mid plantar where the pegs are.
when I bought some tougher firmer boots it was fine (especially when kick starting a 600 single).

recently I have had a lot of foot trouble, and then I changed my walking shoes
for bigger and harder/firmer ones ... improving!

SO .. I would say, try perhaps larger size shoes, loose firm sock like wooly ones, for walking,
good quality trainers .. firm/hard support etc

I know for certain, personally, that all my problems came from poor footwear
change them first.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

what works for one may not work for another, some times over firm boots can cause issues working with someone at the moment who is very flexible and had to wear real firm boots for a trip to the North west passage and now is having real foot and leg issues which we are desperately trying to sort out before she goes on her next exped.

I know my feet do not like real firm boots as they need flexibility, in a firm boot my feet fight the boot and cause problems going to a light weight boot that's a little more flexible has solved all my issues, so it can be a long painful experiment to find out what works for you :oops:

cheers Spud ;)

garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Redmurty wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:25 pm what works for one may not work for another, some times over firm boots can cause issues working with someone at the moment who is very flexible and had to wear real firm boots for a trip to the North west passage and now is having real foot and leg issues which we are desperately trying to sort out before she goes on her next exped.

I know my feet do not like real firm boots as they need flexibility, in a firm boot my feet fight the boot and cause problems going to a light weight boot that's a little more flexible has solved all my issues, so it can be a long painful experiment to find out what works for you :oops:

cheers Spud ;)
point taken ...
.. just pointing out that using a soft boot is not always the solution and can actually cause problems.
and that sometimes a firmer boot is needed.

and don't forget that our feet continue to grow as we age (around oap)
(and perhaps later, shrink, with the rest of our body, in very old age)
Foreign manufacturers tend to give us stylish but narrow footwear, and unreasonable sizing schemes.
while cheap Chinese etc shoes are actually dangerous.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

garyboy wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:51 pm
Redmurty wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:25 pm what works for one may not work for another, some times over firm boots can cause issues working with someone at the moment who is very flexible and had to wear real firm boots for a trip to the North west passage and now is having real foot and leg issues which we are desperately trying to sort out before she goes on her next exped.

cheers Spud ;)
point taken ...
.. just pointing out that using a soft boot is not always the solution and can actually cause problems.
and that sometimes a firmer boot is needed.

and don't forget that our feet continue to grow as we age (around oap)
(and perhaps later, shrink, with the rest of our body, in very old age)
Foreign manufacturers tend to give us stylish but narrow footwear, and unreasonable sizing schemes.
while cheap Chinese etc shoes are actually dangerous.

there are as many foot combinations/issues as people walking :lol: , so you are right mate some need firm boots some need a lighter weight boot and some people I know literally have to buy different size boots for each foot as there is a measurable difference, so buying a boot that fits one foot perfect will cause the other one problems :oops: and you are right about feet changing over time arches fall feet widen ect

worked in a podiatrist clinic for many years and was told I needed to have orthotics as I over pronate so in they go caused all sorts of issues :o sorting my back out on a regular basis (I live with a Chiropractor ;) ) and finding a boot sock combination that works for me sorted my issues. A foot problem may not necessary originate in the feet :shock: :cry:

Cheers Spud ;)

I was taught on a tramp through NZ that socks only last one good trip they then get used as day to day socks, so big trip coming up new socks

Return to “CLOTHING”