How essential is a Pinlock?

Does my ass look big in these?
zimtim

Re: How essential is a Pinlock?

Post by zimtim »

I bought the Arai tour X 4 as it comfortable and came with pinlock
The first pinlock had to be replaced as it was poorly fitted and became damaged.
Second pinlock I ripped out as it constantly misted up I was always left with a build up of condensation directly in front not only my left eye. Meaning I had to stop and wipe away the build up. Also found it pretty ineffective at lower speeds like in traffic or around town. Better to ride with visor up. Not good when you wear glasses, and yes I tried all the different venting options on the helmet.
So as said ripped it out and threw it in bushes at side of road.
I now use a https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/pro ... aZEALw_wcB
Found it best to put helmet on then put foggy in place get a much better fit that way. It just takes your breath down and away from visor. Venting on helmet actually helps keep glasses clear.
I may occasionally just have to crack the visor slightly when riding slow.
But I know this set up will be completely useless off road so may have to rethink options
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

Wouldn't be without one now, but yes they do need adjusting from time to time, and it's really not that difficult.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I had one in a Shoei road helmet. It worked, but you saw twice the number of oncoming headlamps at night...so I decided not to get another.

Frankly if you go for a well-vented 'adventure' helmet, and are prepared to ride with the visor slightly open at the start of the journey to equalise the temperature of your face with the ambient temperature, then misting shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just use a decent demist preparation on the inside of the visor or wash it carefully with washing-up liquid before every use.
chrisj

Post by chrisj »

Wow. So many varying opinions. Lots of food for thought. It's clearly a personal preference thing and something I'll develop an opinion on during my riding development. Cheers folks.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

You don't have to buy a helmet with pinlock.If you decide you need a visor insert an Oxford Fog City does just the same job.The only difference is that it's permanently stuck on.
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

I had to look up what a pinlock was. :shock: :lol: Never had one and as 92kk k100lt 193214 said, I just tend
to crack th evisor open if it gets too bad when raining and cold. My current helmet has plenty of ventilation
so I have yet to have a problem with misting. Keep the visor squeaky clean and this alone will reduce misting.
gspod

Post by gspod »

I put a smear of washing up liquid on the inside of my visor then buff it clean and the same on the outside with Mr Sheen - poet :D
Usually do it once a week but if it rains a lot then maybe twice.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Can you see through the suds? :lol:
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

I've had them for a few years, I have found that they "unadjust" over time & have to be refitted. You normally find out when your visor mists up on the way to work & there's no way to clear it.

I gave up eventually after the last one & went for a similar one that sticks to the visor rather than using those fecking pins.

D
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

More trouble than it's worth on tour x
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).

Return to “CLOTHING”