Base Layers

Does my ass look big in these?
paul_tim2000

Re: Base Layers

Post by paul_tim2000 »

I use the same, cheap, stuff I bought from Lidl / Aldi for Skiing, used to shell out for expensive technical stuff but can't really tell the difference when using it and it's cheap enough to buy 3 or 4 sets and wash/rotate them
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Do the Merino base layers tend to be more resistant to damage from zips etc, as I've got a Mountain Warehouse t-shirt that looks like its been through a barbed wire fence due to the zips pulling at it?
Asgard

Post by Asgard »

Another vote for Merino, been using it for mountain biking for years.
Despite all the B.S. from the outdoor trendy sellers, ive yet to find a synthetic base layer that is anything but sweaty crap
Its a trick............get an Axe
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

+1 for merino.

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
dazcoates

Post by dazcoates »

Aldi, lidl sports wear or if feeling posh , Mark's and sparks . Dont pay the bike tax.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

dazcoates wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:44 pm Aldi, lidl sports wear or if feeling posh , Mark's and sparks . Dont pay the bike tax.
Yeah it's amazing how the prices seem to leap up. Also, someone always has a sale bringing the prices from silly to reasonable.

Just got a merino top and it does seem to be good at keeping the heat in, next up some trousers / long johns / pants.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I've got a mixture of base layers, everything from £4.99 at Decathlon to £120 worth of yak wool. They're all fine, however I do prefer the wool options, they don't stink so you can wear them for days without washing, the synthetic can pong (I bicycle rather than motorcycle commute these days).

The biggest difference is wear, I've got alpkit / Howies merino base layers still going after 4+ years of wear, the £4.99 Decathlon tops are looking a right old state after 3 months & will go for chain cleaning very soon.

I like things to last, hate shopping & like most of us with partners, my wardrobe space is wherever I can cram something in. Less is more
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything

Return to “CLOTHING”