Cooling vest recommendation - again

Does my ass look big in these?
Oop North John

Re: Cooling vest recommendation - again

Post by Oop North John »

Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Surely to get evaporation the surface needs to be feeling moving air? If no air, no evaporation surely? (or very little?)
I have a klim induction for hot weather road riding, worn it up to high 30's, no issues, lovely and cool.
gbags

Post by gbags »

I generally go low tech. I tip a bottle of water into my lid and splash it around the inside of the jacket.
When the weather gets up into the forties I tie the bike suit on the back, ride in day clothes and slow down.
SSchultz

Post by SSchultz »

Oop North John wrote:Would this work any better:

http://www.macna.com/products/dry-cooling-vest/

Nah, that's evaporative like all the others, if no air flow you're just adding water in the slow cooker.

I have a Tuareg Desert suit for hot summer with plenty of vents but the recommendations I was looking for were for cooling options in no airflow gear, no vents complete sealed inside heavy leathers, if that makes sense.
gspod

Post by gspod »

In the states we bought a 'snood' with crystals, you plunge it into iced water and the crystals swell and stay cool for many hours. When you stop for lunch etc just order some iced water and place the snood in it for a half hour or so. This combined with clothing with decent vents (klim) and a camelback has seen us through southern Spain, northern Greece and Death Valley all in August :woohoo:
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

why are you wearing heavy kit in summer? just buy a vented set leathers are hot to wear vented panels will help .
sven

Post by sven »

We were chatting to a couple in Arches National Park in 2012 who had the waistcoats you put in the freezer overnight. It was still cold when the missus tried one on and they'd been on the road eight hours (thumbs)
I was just pouring water over my T-shirt to try to keep cool. Nowadays I'd just wear my Revit jacket with the waterproof liner removed and vents open as it's pretty cool whilst moving
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

SSchultz wrote:
Oop North John wrote:Would this work any better:

http://www.macna.com/products/dry-cooling-vest/

Nah, that's evaporative like all the others, if no air flow you're just adding water in the slow cooker.

I have a Tuareg Desert suit for hot summer with plenty of vents but the recommendations I was looking for were for cooling options in no airflow gear, no vents complete sealed inside heavy leathers, if that makes sense.
Will you actually have the room under leathers for the freezer vest? They are usually pretty form fitting IME, and not suitable for fat.old blokes (eg. like me!) :-)

The Yanks have sold leathers with the little perforations for just this sort of use, so I am sure you could buy some here... at a price! :dry:
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

gspod wrote:In the states we bought a 'snood' with crystals, you plunge it into iced water and the crystals swell and stay cool for many hours. When you stop for lunch etc just order some iced water and place the snood in it for a half hour or so. This combined with clothing with decent vents (klim) and a camelback has seen us through southern Spain, northern Greece and Death Valley all in August :woohoo:
The crystal packs are great, I used to get disposable ones like tea bags for packing our beef when I was shipping it around the country! A sheet about the size of A4 "tea bags" would be pre-soaked like you mention, the gel crytals would swell 4 fold, then frozen overnight. They would keep the beef cool for2 days when well insulated in a paper and cardboard package! Very low tech...

I used to put them in the air flow on the tractor of a pre air con cab! :-)
SSchultz

Post by SSchultz »

Had the vest on Sunday, it does its job brilliantly, money well spent.
Kept me at comfortable temp for exactly 2h, after 2min you forget you're wearing it. A little heavy for my liking but what's 1.8kg on top of the other 45? :D
Replacement inserts are silly money, what else can I use military/ medical cooling gel pads that lasts more than 2h have no idea what to look for.

Return to “CLOTHING”