Cooling vest recommendation - again

Does my ass look big in these?
SSchultz

Cooling vest recommendation - again

Post by SSchultz »

Is there an alternative to the HyperKewl vests? I mean not the evaporative system, the one that constantly needs movement of air to work. I got a HypKewl cooling cap and wrist bands, they're- what's the technical word- crap.
I'm looking for a vest that can be worn under heavy garments with no ventilation, the type with cooling pack inserts. Might be useful as well when I'm out on the bike in the summer :D
I looked on fleabay and amazon but couldn't see anything decent.
Peirre

Re: Cooling vest recommendation - again

Post by Peirre »

I have the techniche hyperkewl vest and found it works ok, even in 40'c southern Spanish heat but I do use it with a full mesh suit. The only negative I've found is the occasional dripping down the arse crack moment. If your trying to use your hyperkewl with out ventilation then that where the problem is
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

I'm looking for a vest that can be worn under heavy garments with no ventilation, the type with cooling pack inserts. Might be useful as well when I'm out on the bike in the summer
Something of a quandry in wearing heavy gear in Summer....? ;-) Safety kit for work I guess...? Iced gelpacks could work with pouches on a jacket? Can you not find a lightweight fishermans vest with a million pockets that would take gelpacks? Failing that, get something similar and get a local seamstress* in the localtown to sew pockets into a shirt??

I have seen American summer kit advertised that uses power from the bike, but have no idea how well it works and or indeed how expensive, or more of relevance, do you want a powered vest!

Gotta say I found Hyperkewl vest to be superb under a mesh jacket in high temps and also when trail riding in Spain two years ago. It even worked in slow speed forest work, as long as you have even a smidge of airflow.

* Bound to be a Polish or Latvian lady somewhere near doing great work for not much :-)
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Simples
Don't wear heavy kit in summer
It's not hard
Buy some better gear
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
SSchultz

Post by SSchultz »

Found this at a somewhat good price, new £70 delivered.

Will test it in a couple weeks, feeling positive (thumbs)

SteveR

Post by SteveR »

SSchultz wrote:Found this at a somewhat good price, new £70 delivered.

Will test it in a couple weeks, feeling positive (thumbs)

Pop it in the freezer job?
SSchultz

Post by SSchultz »

Not sure, it has gel pads not ice packs. Are they freezer rechargeable or how do they work?
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

SSchultz wrote:Not sure, it has gel pads not ice packs. Are they freezer rechargeable or how do they work?
Lob em in the freezer by the look of things, or possibly the whole vest! They use the same type for use on injuries and rehab.
Stuartw

Post by Stuartw »

Don't forget a nice simple fix of soaking a buff in water, popping it on and off you go. Will keep you surprisingly cool on a hot day.
Carry a bottle of water to refresh it
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

Stuartw wrote:Don't forget a nice simple fix of soaking a buff in water, popping it on and off you go. Will keep you surprisingly cool on a hot day.
The initial problem was that due to the heavy kit the OP is wearing there was insufficient airflow reaching anything designed to cool him, so I doubt a wet buff would fail

Return to “CLOTHING”