Motorcycle boots

Does my ass look big in these?
Spike941

Re: Motorcycle boots

Post by Spike941 »

My Goretex TCX Infinity's have 30,000+ miles under their soles now, and still as good as new. Only down side is they are size 48 (13) and for my big plates, can only get one pair of socks on without becoming too tight. Great for the summer, but would really like warmer feet in the winter. Not keen on going down the heated sock route. Anyone know of a good boot manufacturer that do sizes up to 50?
BobH

Post by BobH »

+1 Sidi Adventure, brilliant and comfy for me straight out of the box.
James_Death

Post by James_Death »

Original poster never did get back as to what riding they wanted the boots for but from suggestions looked to be off road/ mixed trails.

However if its purely road then the Altburg roadrunner get my vote, possibly a bit too warm for summer but otherwise great boots.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I have this thing of either buy cheap and cheerful or buy the very best.

Cheap and cheerful has me using Aldi boots that will last me about 2 years. That may not sound much but my K has done about 35k miles in that time so I am not complaining. They were comfortable, warm, did the job well but now I need new boots and none out there until March. None of the boots you buy are repairable.

So, my thought turned to a friend who does not have a car and uses his bikes all the time but on road. One day having tea at his place his boots were there and I had a look. The simplicity really impressed me, less to wear and go wrong. 20 years on and still doing the job he said and I know he does a lot of travelling. Altberg. Been back a few times for new soles and rebuilds as would be expected.

Did the research and as the previous poster said the Altberg Roadrunner is the business and I have decided to treat myself to a pair. I know they will last, not cheap but definitely brilliant boots and by far the best. Over an extended period they will work out no more expensive and the factory will resole them, remould them and replace zips etc etc. They will also make them to fit if like me you need extra wide boots. Or need extra large sizes.......

I get over the heat issue by sizing boots to allow for the thickness of two thick pairs of socks. I use the bike all year and the extra heat [insulation] in winter is important if its a 3 hour run at or below freezing. Check out Seaboot socks!. In summer thick very loose knit socks let a fabulous draught around your feet without the boots feeling loose.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Zookman

Post by Zookman »

I've lost count of all the mc boots i've bought over the 40 yrs i've been riding bikes.... but the only ones that have been top quality stuff were Sidi Couriers. Lasted many years and were tough as fk.... but so they should at 200 quid.
But i think the cost of decent mc boots are extortionate..... i now wear army boots, British Army extreme weather in winter, German Para in summer. Only lacking in shin protection, but last for years and are as comfortable as hiking boots. All for around £50 each.
Tenere Mart

Post by Tenere Mart »

Formers ADV .. boots are great ... sometimes I forget I have them on when at work ... oops . :laugh: :whistle:
MART
Mac 60

Post by Mac 60 »

Yep thumbs up for the Sidi adventure boots. Big off while wearing them, in fact they were the only bit of kit survived. Battered but not beaten lol.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

Sidi cross fire are fantastic boots and so are Gaerne sg10/12 I personally would not where anything less for on and off road riding. Cheap boots are a total waste of money. If money is tight (or if you are, like me) buy them secondhand from flee bay. A year old pair of Sidi crossfires which out last the cheaper boots by years. Any boot that allows your ankle to move side ways is a waste of money and a risk while riding a bike. Always buy Sidi Crossfires a size or even two sizes bigger than your shoes as they are a very narrow boot I where 42/43 shoes but always need a 44 sidi boot.
gspod

Post by gspod »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:I have this thing of either buy cheap and cheerful or buy the very best.

Cheap and cheerful has me using Aldi boots that will last me about 2 years. That may not sound much but my K has done about 35k miles in that time so I am not complaining. They were comfortable, warm, did the job well but now I need new boots and none out there until March. None of the boots you buy are repairable.

So, my thought turned to a friend who does not have a car and uses his bikes all the time but on road. One day having tea at his place his boots were there and I had a look. The simplicity really impressed me, less to wear and go wrong. 20 years on and still doing the job he said and I know he does a lot of travelling. Altberg. Been back a few times for new soles and rebuilds as would be expected.

Did the research and as the previous poster said the Altberg Roadrunner is the business and I have decided to treat myself to a pair. I know they will last, not cheap but definitely brilliant boots and by far the best. Over an extended period they will work out no more expensive and the factory will resole them, remould them and replace zips etc etc. They will also make them to fit if like me you need extra wide boots. Or need extra large sizes.......

I get over the heat issue by sizing boots to allow for the thickness of two thick pairs of socks. I use the bike all year and the extra heat [insulation] in winter is important if its a 3 hour run at or below freezing. Check out Seaboot socks!. In summer thick very loose knit socks let a fabulous draught around your feet without the boots feeling loose.
Albergs are brilliant, you won't be disappointed - don't worry about the cold as they are very warm, some people find them too warm in hot climates but I've never had a problem. Oh, as I said before, get some Ledergris from Altberg while you're at it - great stuff.
RichP

Post by RichP »

captinktm wrote:Sidi cross fire are fantastic boots and so are Gaerne sg10/12 I personally would not where anything less for on and off road riding. Cheap boots are a total waste of money. If money is tight (or if you are, like me) buy them secondhand from flee bay. A year old pair of Sidi crossfires which out last the cheaper boots by years. Any boot that allows your ankle to move side ways is a waste of money and a risk while riding a bike. Always buy Sidi Crossfires a size or even two sizes bigger than your shoes as they are a very narrow boot I where 42/43 shoes but always need a 44 sidi boot.
Totally agree. After breaking my ankle wearing my TCX Infinitys whilst up in the Pyrenees I bought some Sidi Crossfires. Riding for four hours on tracks and roads to get to a hospital was no fun. The Crossfires offer so much more protection. They are expensive but they are fantastic!

Return to “CLOTHING”