Where would you buy your gear and accessories?

The essential art of farkling.
Dick Dastardly

Re:Where would you buy your gear and accessories?

Post by Dick Dastardly »

I must be the only mug on the site.

I do not buy cheap gear. I will try and research as much as possible, sort the good from the bad (in MY opinion) and then save for the one I want.

This doesn't always mean that I will buy the dearest thing on the market, just the best at the time. But I have made some mistakes.

I have a garage full of cheap stuff that will never be used again and a locker full of stuff that is used all the time.

Not changed any riding gear for about five or six years. Must be something right. Helmet excluded of course
" Ride hard, fall softly"
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

africajim wrote:
You may find this offensive but in my defence, I am Scottish,,,, but,,,, I try on stuff at bike shops or dedicated bike gear stores to get the correct size then,,,,, order it online cheaper!
I had this idea last night, i thought it was brilliant! I don't know if i could be bothered to wait the few days delivery time though if i had tried it on and could have bought it there and then, even if it was a bit more expensive. I am a bit of an impulse buyer though.

davsato is right as well, with rising prices to do just about anything these days in a lot of cases you might as well just shop in your local.
Lolo

Post by Lolo »

We will be camping at the tail end BMF rally its always a good way of picking up some cheap gear.

We got waterproofs last year for £5 and Scott got a pair of boots that would normally retail and around £150 for £40.
canazei1200

Post by canazei1200 »

mixture of both, most stores have web sites these days so always check prices before going in, like to try stuff on, but still using 5 year old 2 piece leathers with £10 waterproofs a pair boots that were a freebie and a new helmet, just feels the best, might get a new jacket for winter
NOT AS FAST ON A BIKE AS I THINK I AM
Adrian

Re: Where would you buy your gear and accessories?

Post by Adrian »

clothing and helmes have to be tried on.
It's also nice to get a feel for something.
I bought a helmet this year from the net.
It 'should' have been the right size but it was a miserable fit and very poor quality lid.
However, I did take a gamble on a jacket last year from ebay.
I wanted a high viz jacket and couldn't afford the one I wanted from Hein Gericke.
The jacket was about £60 pounds. I thought, if I can get a year or two out of it, I'll be happy.
But, the jacket was great! It fitted really nice, is waterproof, windproof and has all the usual protection.
So while it's nice to have the dosh to by 'off the rail' sometimes a gamble on a net bargain can pay off.

Ade
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I might be a traditionalist but I prefer supporting my local shop rather than some soulless, cavernous warehouse in Jersey or wherever. I can't recommend Woody's Sportouring in Abercynon highly enough (no I am not on commission). Honest unbiased advice, good old fashioned service and a cracking cup of tea as well!
If you find yourselves having a spin through the Brecon Beacons it is a short distance south of Merthyr on the A470, well worth a call in.
Sleepy

Post by Sleepy »

I've never bought clothing on-line, I like to try on anything I buy, and have the option of taking it back if a defect occurs.
However, accessories, service items and practically anything else is bought from the world wide web...
OB1

Post by OB1 »

I have no problems buying anything online because, as with buying in a bricks and motar store, you have the right to a refund or replacement product, regardless of what some may think. I have bought three helmets from various web sites because I know what size I am and I will generally try a similar helmet on in a shop to make sure I like it.

However, I will generally use real/virtual shops as sounding boards against each other. My Arai, for example, was bought in a shop because they offered a better discount than I could have recieved online. Also, if items are only fractionally cheaper online, I would rather buy in a local shop because I can have the item now, rather than in 3-5 days.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Dick Dastardly wrote:I must be the only mug on the site.

I do not buy cheap gear. I will try and research as much as possible, sort the good from the bad (in MY opinion) and then save for the one I want.

This doesn't always mean that I will buy the dearest thing on the market, just the best at the time. But I have made some mistakes.

I have a garage full of cheap stuff that will never be used again and a locker full of stuff that is used all the time.

Not changed any riding gear for about five or six years. Must be something right. Helmet excluded of course
I agree with all this, buy cheap buy twice, I don't fancy going down the road in cheap kit (not that I fancy going down the road at all) I will buy the kit I want at where ever I can get it at the best price. cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Lancastermick

Post by Lancastermick »

I am a penniless snob. :)

I'm attracted to quality gear like a wasp to a jam jar! Unfortunately, my wallet does not support me in my aspirations, so alas I'm forced to buy what I need, rather than what I want. I don't care where it's from as long as it's the best balance of money to quality I can muster. ;)
"Man needs difficulties, they are necessary for health." - Carl Jung

Return to “ACCESSORIES”