What's your advice regarding tank bags on long trips

The essential art of farkling.
AlanHolt

What's your advice regarding tank bags on long trips

Post by AlanHolt »

I'm considering getting a tank bag for my 1250 GSA to use on our European trips. I've never had a tank bag before on any bike, but I like the idea of having documents, camera and essentials close to hand instead of having to get off and go into the hard luggage each time.

What is the advice and/or experience from members of this forum? I know I should avoid the ring mounted bags with the GS, and I'll probably need a rain cover, but that's it. Is there a better alternative?
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Hugh

Re: What's your advice regarding tank bags on long trips

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

The most obvious objections are possible tank filling, scratches to paint surface, increase in height of CofG, restriction of steering lock and security of contents.

But I found them very useful on both my Commando and Trophy whilst travelling in France. Ease of access to passports, spare gloves, wallet and acting as a small fairing in rainy conditions.

TTFN

Hugh.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I wouldn't travel anywhere without & consider one essential. Do some research, although doubtful you will have trouble with steering lock issues on a GS, they can also get in the way if you do a lot of standing, I would spend the money & get a waterproof one, I have an enduristan & it has never let even a drip in; the rain cover ones can be a real faff.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
rockdodger

Post by rockdodger »

I’ve used the Givi GRT715 on a quite a few bikes on all sorts of trips and in all sorts of weather. Waterproof as well.
When you park up you just unclip the tank bag off and the harness stays on the bike. It’s not at all difficult when you go to fill up either.
tuftywhite

Post by tuftywhite »

On various longer trips, I've had a tank bag.

On my off-road special, and my G/S I use a Kreiga US 5 (I think) with tank harness, which is useful just to put a few bits in.

On my 1150GS I've gone full Bagster tank cover with bag. And when I had my 1200GS I had a BMW tank bag.

When I think about it, I don't really like tank bags, but when I look back at my bigger trips, I've always used one!!!????

I also debate as to whether to take a rucksack in the same way as I debate a tank bag. Tank bags or bar bags might be a good way of charging stuff if you have ports on or near your bars.

Perhaps pack everything you want in the rest of your luggage, and then use a tank bag or rucksack if you have small stuff left over, or have stuff you need quick access to.

I've written quite a lot, but I don't think I've helped much. ;)
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

A backpack isn't an option as my girlfriend will be on the back, and behind her is a top box.

A tank bag that looks like it will fit the bill is the Mosko nomax. It doesn't have one single compartment which could become a dumping ground for too much stuff, isn't too bulky, but also has a water bladder and a rain cover. I wish it was bike specific like the touratech ones, which seem to fit better, but are huge. The mosko also has a dubious way of fastening it to the bike, using cable ties to clamp the straps to the frame.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

if u want a left feild option ..ive been usung pushbike bags off ebay ...6 quid including a free bycycle lock ...i bought 4 of em about 4 years ago and they just stay put even ont trail bike these ones have i think 5 good fixing points stiched on to them

they arnt too bad room wise for general stuff have a phone pocket on top which is handy for a tenner /toll tickets and amaxingly they have proved very tough and highly water resistant ..tbo i dont care as long as it works
room for sunglasses wooly hat ear plug case bag of sweets motrway ribena carton on the move antything you want realy ..mabe not for the fashioistas of this world but it just plain works and for 6 quid its hard to complain

anyone wanna bycyle lock ?

not a lot to lose if you want to try one ...latest one have a bigger phone pocket ...a tenner

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Handlebar-Wate ... 31&sr=8-30

url=https://postimg.cc/2qN3gDkZ]Image[/url]

Last edited by minkyhead on Sun May 08, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I've got a Touratech Ibarra handlebar bag (https://www.adventurebikeshop.co.uk/sof ... ag-ibarra/), and it's fine for day trips but too small for those to-hand items on longer trips plus it isn't waterproof. I considered the lomo crash bar bags, but they are out of stock everywhere. I've tried fitting a Kriega US-5 to the crashbars, but they are not convenient enough.
Last edited by AlanHolt on Mon May 09, 2022 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

looks loke your gonna have to get a strappon :mrgreen: :evil:
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
blue bus

Post by blue bus »

i,ve used them a few times i think they are very useful, if you can unzip the top part and use it as a shoulder bag even better when you have to leave the bike

Return to “ACCESSORIES”