Tell me about heated grips...

The essential art of farkling.
daveuprite

Tell me about heated grips...

Post by daveuprite »

Never had them before. I always just froze. Or I reached down to the engine at the lights in search of a flicker of warmth.

So I've never ever had heated grips on a bike, never bought them, never fitted them, and weirdly I've never ever even experienced them, in 4 decades of biking. The sports bike crowd don't tend to fit them on the whole.

Tell me what there is to know. Any good makes, tips etc. Cheers :)
zimtim

Re: Tell me about heated grips...

Post by zimtim »

daveuprite wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:06 pm Never had them before. I always just froze. Or I reached down to the engine at the lights in search of a flicker of warmth.

So I've never ever had heated grips on a bike, never bought them, never fitted them, and weirdly I've never ever even experienced them, in 4 decades of biking. The sports bike crowd don't tend to fit them on the whole.

Theyre grippy and they Heat up :ugeek: :ugeek:
Cornishman

Post by Cornishman »

daveuprite wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:06 pm Never had them before. I always just froze. Or I reached down to the engine at the lights in search of a flicker of warmth.

You’re not the only one who has no experience of heated grips, I wrote this in a reply to a message from a friend who was asking if I was getting heated grips for my new bike only yesterday.

‘Heated grips are very trendy but I’ve never fancied them.’

You’ve probably guessed, I can’t help.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

OK
serious answers

I have found them vital to ride year round. I dont particularly like the OXFORD or KTM ones as i find that they are just too fat although they do kick out some serious heat.

I tend to use the Heat Daemon
https://www.fruugo.co.uk/symtec-210019m ... FbEALw_wcB

you can get them cheaper than that. :oops: :oops:

This way i still put on Motocrosss grips like the protapers and this thinner rubber works weel with these grips as they are good but no where near as good as the Oxford or KTM .

I have guards which help shield the hands from the wind and with the heated grips on can ride all year in the south of UK same gloves all year round but on those really cold days I may put my thin gloves on as liners.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The OEM ones are horribly expensive.

When I got my second-hand 950 KTM back in 2005-ish, it came with a set of Oxford grips.
I've broken a couple of controllers, but the grips themselves are fine.
They work very well in conditions where you need moderate warmth, particularly if you have handguards too.
In really cold conditions they are not enough. I once did a ride from Gloucester to London and back on a day when the temperature did not rise above freezing. I cranked the grips up to max, and they were almost burning my hands through FT AntiArctic gloves, but my fingertips were still frozen. They got so hot, the glue on the LH grip released.
So, great and convenient for chilly rides in the Autumn and Spring, but if I was going to do another long run in sub-zero conditions, I'd be looking for heated gloves with elements running to the fingertips.

A slight word of warning. If you use goretex or similar gloves and you are riding in the rain with heated grips, the temperature gradient gets reversed and water vapour passes through the membrane and onto your hands...luckily it's warm!
onslowe

Post by onslowe »

I have the latest Oxford intelligent grips and they do get hot but my fingertips still get cold :( I have just come back from a 90min ride and afterwards it still took a while for my fingers to warm up fully and it's only 10 degrees C though very windy. Having said that without the grips I would not have gone out as I have bad circulation in my hands so they do make a noticeable difference and I find them comfy when not in use and not much thicker than normal, also easy to fit. Worth a gamble at £50 but I might try rechargeable heated gloves next time.
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

New generation Oxford heated grips with auto shut off controller and either bar protectors for wind deflection or muffs if your a true all year biker.... Gortex gloves make a huge difference as they stop the wind chill compared to leather and synthetic stuff...

You could always stuff your hands around your bollocks to warm them up... Lol.
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
Agent Orange

Post by Agent Orange »

Smytec ones that go under your oe grips are really, don't be tempted by the cheapo ones of fleabay...not good by all accounts, winding roads used to sell em.
I use Daytona heated grips, not overly bigger than standard and lots of heat settings.
Heated grips and handguards is the best combo for me. That way I can wear summer gortex gloves all year around. Non of this thick glove stuff. :mrgreen:
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I’ve always fitted the Oxford intelligent ones, and Grip Puppies on top of them BUT I’ve got hands like JCB buckets so dia of ‘em is no problem, I’ve observed at one of our clubs trials today & it was colder than I thought it was going to be, & windy my bloody chair blew away!!
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Dr bike grips Dave they work a treat I have them on my KTM and had them on my xt660 , you need them as you get older and your pinkies get cold

Return to “ACCESSORIES”