Speed Camera/Gun Detector

The essential art of farkling.
johnnyboxer

Re: Speed Camera/Gun Detector

Post by johnnyboxer »

garyboy wrote:soon we won't have to worry .. as the govt is intent on having speed limiters installed as std in all new vehicles?? ... soon.
I would approve - mine is a revelation
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Some car drivers I've mentioned this too say they thought vans had a higher speed limit of 80 or 90 on the motorway!
Only white Sprinter vans
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I once had a Volvo car with a cruise control

The one time it was of any use was in a roadworks with a temp speed limit, average speed cams and relatively free-flowing traffic. You could just set at 50 mph and not get sucked in to going any faster by the car in front pulling away or the vehicle behind trying to push you on.
Richard Simpson Mark II

SteveR wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:57 am
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:57 pm
Indeed ...got the NIP for exceeding speed for class of vehicle...Haven't driven a van since before lockdown and was just bowling along in a rental van at 'car' speed.

Some car drivers I've mentioned this too say they thought vans had a higher speed limit of 80 or 90 on the motorway!
Bit of a bummer that... I am unsure just what the legal limit is on DC pickups these days. Some are commercial, some not, but based on what was said about the VW above, I think I should be OK at 70...?

Sure thing the van drivers are convinced of this higher speed limit.... ;)

If the camera systems are identifying vehicle class and the speed limits on said vehicles, I can see "white van man" speeds dropping quickly!!

https://pickupand4x4.co.uk/pickup-truck ... 2070mph%29.

It's complicated, but complication is no defence in the eyes of the law.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

All new cars will be fitted with speed limiters from 2022 under tough EU safety rules.

The Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) black boxes will use GPS to work out what the speed limit is and will then ensure the car doesn't break it.

New models will need to have an ISA fitted as standard within three years after the European Commission approved the legislation.

This will include cars in Britain even if Brexit happens because the UK's Vehicle Certification Agency said it will still mirror the EU rules - a move that's been confirmed by the Department for Transport.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... rules.html
Richard Simpson Mark II

That article is incredibly confused and full of contradictions. Introduced in three years time in 2022?

What the system appears to be is a switchable, over-rideable warning that a speed limit is being broken.

I've driven a Mercedes-Benz truck with the system in place. It relies on mapping, and the visual recognition of speed limit signs.

I wonder if it will understand that the uk is mph and the rest of Europe is km/h?

Will it understand temporary/variable speed limits?

Will it be a defence in law to say 'my car has a device that prevents it from speeding and it was active at the time, m'lud' ?

If not, then what's the point of it?
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

i think it was on tv ... they are going to install a chip or something, that will record everything you and your car do. (new cars). TV said cops can stop you and see all what you have done, (times, speed. places, acceleration, speed limits etc) and charge you for any naughty bits.

I could see that this article is an old one, but I think the date is correct .. 2022.

Quick .. form a protest group and go demonstrate .. o ... you can't now lol.

using GPS and traffic sign recognition cameras .. I presume the car cam will see the variable speed warning sign speed?
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

garyboy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:22 pm All new cars will be fitted with speed limiters from 2022 under tough EU safety rules.

The Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) black boxes will use GPS to work out what the speed limit is and will then ensure the car doesn't break it.

New models will need to have an ISA fitted as standard within three years after the European Commission approved the legislation.

Sorted.... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274913053359 ... Sw265hHfd2

;)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

:D .. I am guessing there will be an abundance of such override gadgets coming on the market soon :lol:

Mind, this one reminds me of that bomb-detecting device sold to the British army, made from wire and a plastic trigger lol , cost billions lol
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

garyboy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:51 pm :D .. I am guessing there will be an abundance of such override gadgets coming on the market soon :lol:

Mind, this one reminds me of that bomb-detecting device sold to the British army, made from wire and a plastic trigger lol , cost billions lol
MOD... a truly awful bunch when it comes to procurement... :(

Return to “ACCESSORIES”