Speed Camera/Gun Detector

The essential art of farkling.
sphbristol

Re: Speed Camera/Gun Detector

Post by sphbristol »

Tonibe63 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:17 pm
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:52 pm That article is incredibly confused and full of contradictions. Introduced in three years time in 2022?

What the system appears to be is a switchable, over-rideable warning that a speed limit is being broken.

I've driven a Mercedes-Benz truck with the system in place. It relies on mapping, and the visual recognition of speed limit signs.

I wonder if it will understand that the uk is mph and the rest of Europe is km/h?

Will it understand temporary/variable speed limits?

Will it be a defence in law to say 'my car has a device that prevents it from speeding and it was active at the time, m'lud' ?

If not, then what's the point of it?
My understanding is that all new cars from 2022 will have the system fitted but the driver will be able to disable it, however when you turn the car off it defaults to enable the system so you then have to disable it again.
All new models from 2024 will have the system fitted which cannot be disabled. It's all a gradual progression to driverless cars to remove the most unstable thing on the roads ie. the driver/rider.
I have a 2020 Volvo and you can turn this off and on, it's quite good. You can also buy a "RED" from them and it disables the function to turn off. I guess its for when the kids want to borrow the car.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”