Speed Camera/Gun Detector

The essential art of farkling.
garyboy

Re: Speed Camera/Gun Detector

Post by garyboy »

soon we won't have to worry .. as the govt is intent on having speed limiters installed as std in all new vehicles?? ... soon.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

Toady, I spotted a camera van, hidden, reverse parked up a hill sided by bushes, on the northbound side of the M90 out of Edinburgh in the region of Knockhill.

Reporting just for safety info purposes.

TTFN

Hugh.
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I’m obsessed with my speed these days after picking 3 points up in 2018 I’ve driven down the M6 today to the Classic Rally Festival at Weston Park then onto Cleveden I could see camera flashes on the other carriageway as folk got pinged as the M6 has loads of speed restrictions on it, where they’re constructing the not-so-smart motorway, I set my cruise control to whatever the limit is an trundle down like a good boy, but folk were literally flashing past at 70/80 in the 60 restrictions, as we know them gantries are full of cameras!!
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

johnnyboxer wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:44 am
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:I've got a speed awareness course next month!
72 mph in a van, heading west, Puddletown bypass near Dorchester.
12 mph over then Image
Indeed ...got the NIP for exceeding speed for class of vehicle...Haven't driven a van since before lockdown and was just bowling along in a rental van at 'car' speed.

Some car drivers I've mentioned this too say they thought vans had a higher speed limit of 80 or 90 on the motorway!
SteveWat

Post by SteveWat »

When you are on a bike, a camera van can only nab you when you pass it……via an additional camera located in the back of the van, that photograph’s your number plate.
On two occasions, when I’ve been pretty certain that I’ve been above speed limit I’ve beaten the system.
On the first occasion, I spotted the camera van waiting in ambush, I checked my speed (Over the limit!) and then applied the brakes…..probably all a bit too slow to prevent the public servant from nabbing me. I pulled up to a stop about 100 yards before I reached the van and assessed my situation. 50 yards in front of me there was a gap in the houses and a footpath leading to a road running parallel to the one I was travelling on. I started the bike up and nipped down the footpath.
I didn’t pass the van so there was no photo of my numberplate.
The second time was very similar to the first…..except there was no footpath/side road to nip down. So I was again stationary some 100 yards or so in front of the camera van. I waited for a gap in the traffic and U-turned the bike and headed off in the opposite direction.
Obviously these two occasions where in an urban situation on single carriage way roads…..much more difficult on duel carriageways!
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Only if they are white, which I suppose most are :lol:
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:57 pm
Indeed ...got the NIP for exceeding speed for class of vehicle...Haven't driven a van since before lockdown and was just bowling along in a rental van at 'car' speed.

Some car drivers I've mentioned this too say they thought vans had a higher speed limit of 80 or 90 on the motorway!
Bit of a bummer that... I am unsure just what the legal limit is on DC pickups these days. Some are commercial, some not, but based on what was said about the VW above, I think I should be OK at 70...?

Sure thing the van drivers are convinced of this higher speed limit.... ;)

If the camera systems are identifying vehicle class and the speed limits on said vehicles, I can see "white van man" speeds dropping quickly!!
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

garyboy wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:37 pm soon we won't have to worry .. as the govt is intent on having speed limiters installed as std in all new vehicles?? ... soon.
Happily, retrofit is unlikely... ;)

Keep a couple of old petrol burners in the garage for fun days as battery and speed controls takes over!
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

I just poodle about on the motorway at 60mph, whether in my van or on bike, just so that i'm overtaking the lorries and then let all the dicks go hurtling past to their happy destinations. A mile a minute works for me.
I used to do recovery work and was always hurtling around at 80 on the motorway until i had a near miss and i've slowed right down ever since.
It's too stressful speeding anyway.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

SteveR wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:57 am
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:57 pm

Bit of a bummer that... I am unsure just what the legal limit is on DC pickups these days. Some are commercial, some not, but based on what was said about the VW above, I think I should be OK at 70...?

Sure thing the van drivers are convinced of this higher speed limit.... ;)

If the camera systems are identifying vehicle class and the speed limits on said vehicles, I can see "white van man" speeds dropping quickly!!
All done on ANPR....the facts of the case are that I was actually exceeding the limit for cars by a small margin. Speeding by van drivers is rife: they've gone from being slow old tubs with normally-aspirated diesels that could hardly crack 60 mph on a good day to turbo monsters that can cruise all day at 90 mph. They have the reg number, so they can check the taxation class of the vehicle, whether it's taxed, tested etc. So I can't really complain. Apparently that bit of road is a regular for speed checks. I used to live around there but haven't been back much since it was DC'd. That's life!

Return to “ACCESSORIES”