Bike security options when touring Europe.

The essential art of farkling.
Geecee68

Bike security options when touring Europe.

Post by Geecee68 »

I'm doing a trip around Spain in August, and I'm wondering about security for my bike, specifically overnight when I'm in a hotel. I'll take a chain with me and do the obvious stuff. I wonder if there are other tech options too? Anything from an Apple tag to a GPS tracker. Any advice or experience is much appreciated.
Godspeed

Re: Bike security options when touring Europe.

Post by Godspeed »

I take a lightweight bike cover. Pop it over the top and you’ll be surprised how a flimsy layer takes away a prying eye. Take one that a bit dirty for added effect 👍
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

done lots of miles through Europe especially Spain and France had no problems rarely used any security in recent times both camping and bricks not always in posh garages, only once had a theft the whole rollbag, straps were sliced bag was gone from a alley at the side of a Hostel in Switzerland of all place's. I had great difficulty explaining to the cop the purpose of my fins, snorkel etc that were in the bag , I was on the way to the Med. It pissed me off and spoiled that trip and squewed my thinking for a couple of years after but I'm over it now as a trailrider carrying locks and stuff is a bind, a packable cover looks a possibility though. thats my experience anyway. Odds are you will have zero problems, but Odds are some kind of gamble. We are all motorbikers, we are all gamblers.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Personally I worry about bike security more in. England than in any other country I have travelled to.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I would say that on at least 50% of occasions the owners of hotels (the smaller ones usually, not the corporate chains) have found us somewhere to park the bikes safe and undercover. One time we arrived at a hotel in Austria and the owner told us to follow him in his car for a couple of kms. He unlocked the garage at his own very nice house and let us park up and store all our gear in there for the night. Gave us a lift back to the hotel and did the same the next morning! In Italy I've been allowed to park the bike in the actual reception area of one hotel - the guy in charge said it would be nice for the guests to look at a Bimota on their way in/out. It's a big generality to say this, I accept, but attitudes to biking are often very different in mainland Europe compared to the UK.

If you are parked out on the street I like Godspeed's idea. Chuck a cover over it. Chris I think you should get a branded Ducati Superleggera cover for your C90 - it would be good to see the reaction of any thief when they remove that. :D
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Never had a problem with mine or mates bikes even when having to park on the street, although we always prefer to get somewhere with secure parking. If they were smaller and of more interest to yoofs then maybe I would be more concerned.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

I try to avoid staying in big cities and towns. I choose hotels taking their parking arrangements as a big factor in that choice.
I carry a lock and chain and use it every night, even in a secure garage. I use the steering lock. Locking two bikes together, if possible, is preferable.
Unless camping I don’t leave bags strapped to the bike. I do sometimes leave hard panniers attached and take out what I need though.

As others have said, it’s always a gamble. I just try and shorten the odds as much as possible.
Luck also plays a part I guess.
Magnusson

Post by Magnusson »

Thinking about it. In my travels I've always, unless being in a tent, had secure parking for my bike. Small hotel in Germany put my bike in a garage 50 meters away. Small hotel in France gave me keys to a heated garage for my bike. I do admit that when searching Airbnb and whatnot for places to stay, I do put places with garages in the search criteria. The price difference is negligible. There was a really nice one near Lake Como in Italy, with a remote for the garage, less than a kilometer from the MotoGuzzi museum and with charming restaurant, full of locals, only 5 minute walk away. 8-)
Champagne taste on beer budget.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Take a small, but high-quality, padlock and put it through the rear-wheel sprocket and chain. Much better than a disc lock, as discs can be shattered with a hammer.
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

bikenav wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:26 am done lots of miles through Europe especially Spain and France had no problems rarely used any security in recent times both camping and bricks not always in posh garages, only once had a theft the whole rollbag, straps were sliced bag was gone from a alley at the side of a Hostel in Switzerland of all place's. I had great difficulty explaining to the cop the purpose of my fins, snorkel etc that were in the bag , I was on the way to the Med. It pissed me off and spoiled that trip and squewed my thinking for a couple of years after but I'm over it now as a trailrider carrying locks and stuff is a bind, a packable cover looks a possibility though. thats my experience anyway. Odds are you will have zero problems, but Odds are some kind of gamble. We are all motorbikers, we are all gamblers.
I use these on any soft luggage/rollbags etc.

https://kriega.com/adventure/steelcore-security-strap

tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...

Return to “ACCESSORIES”