New GPS - Garmin Montana 700i v's ZUMO XT?

The essential art of farkling.
johnnyboxer

New GPS - Garmin Montana 700i v's ZUMO XT?

Post by johnnyboxer »

In the market for a new GPS and fancy either one

People are loving the ZUMO XT for road and adventure use, as it can use Topo Europe (but not UK OS maps) and has some great road features etc ot the £300 more 700i with CN road mapping (and the ability to run UK OS maps, as an extra) and preloaded with European Topo maps too

Outside runner is a Satmap 20 for UK trail riding, with OS and then a ZUMO XT for the road, but cost of both would equal the cost of a 700i outright

Confused?

Not interested in running a smartphone, due to vibes/water/dust etc on the T700 Tenere
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
PDiddy

Re: New GPS - Garmin Montana 700i v's ZUMO XT?

Post by PDiddy »

I've the 700i and have tried the OS maps from my Montana 600, and the device doesn't recognise them, so I'm now looking at getting TOPO Pro for the UK. The big screen on the 700i is fantastic, and makes a massive difference,
Broken Jones

Post by Broken Jones »

I had a look at both of these:

£620 for 700i (without infotech option but including optional powered mount for bike) - 410g; 480 x 800 pixels screen; includes Topoactive Europe maps, but no City Navigator maps; 1 year subscription to Birdseye Satellite downloads; 16GB internal storage; upload/download routes/tracks via Garmin Basecamp.

£365 for Zumo XT inc 1 powered bike mount + 1 car mount (Sportsbike.co.uk) - 262g; 1280 x 720 pixels screen; Includes European Topoactive maps; Includes full European city navigator maps + lifetime updates; includes lifetime subscription to Birdseye Satellite downloads; 32GB internal storage; links to phone + helmet intercom via Garmin Drive App; upload/download routes/tracks via Garmin Basecamp.

So, Zumo XT - £250 cheaper with higher resolution screen; 2/3 of the weight; includes lifetime European CityNav maps + lifetime Birdseye.

For what I wanted - routable full-European road maps + following TET type routes/tracks + recording and sharing where I've been + one satnav for both bike and car - the Zumo XT looked like the better deal, so ended up buying one.

I had a problem with original powered mount (kept losing external power), but Garmin sent me a new mount and power cable without any fuss and it's been fine since.

Overall - I'm really pleased with the XT. The screen is excellent, and the connectivity with phone and headsets has been really stable. It includes some other non-essential (for me) but interesting stuff like live weather maps, live traffic maps.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Broken Jones wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:34 am I had a look at both of these:

£620 for 700i (without infotech option but including optional powered mount for bike) - 410g; 480 x 800 pixels screen; includes Topoactive Europe maps, but no City Navigator maps; 1 year subscription to Birdseye Satellite downloads; 16GB internal storage; upload/download routes/tracks via Garmin Basecamp.

£365 for Zumo XT inc 1 powered bike mount + 1 car mount (Sportsbike.co.uk) - 262g; 1280 x 720 pixels screen; Includes European Topoactive maps; Includes full European city navigator maps + lifetime updates; includes lifetime subscription to Birdseye Satellite downloads; 32GB internal storage; links to phone + helmet intercom via Garmin Drive App; upload/download routes/tracks via Garmin Basecamp.

So, Zumo XT - £250 cheaper with higher resolution screen; 2/3 of the weight; includes lifetime European CityNav maps + lifetime Birdseye.

For what I wanted - routable full-European road maps + following TET type routes/tracks + recording and sharing where I've been + one satnav for both bike and car - the Zumo XT looked like the better deal, so ended up buying one.

I had a problem with original powered mount (kept losing external power), but Garmin sent me a new mount and power cable without any fuss and it's been fine since.

Overall - I'm really pleased with the XT. The screen is excellent, and the connectivity with phone and headsets has been really stable. It includes some other non-essential (for me) but interesting stuff like live weather maps, live traffic maps.
Garmin 700i has CN Road mapping, doesn't it (700 doesn't)

With money we don't have

Broken Jones

Post by Broken Jones »

Yes, I think you're right - the 700i includes CN maps. Although I can't see this stated anywhere on the 700i spec page.
Broken Jones

Post by Broken Jones »

There's a really good 700i review here: https://www.navigation-professionell.de ... 0i-review/
v8mark

Post by v8mark »

i use the satmap 20 and its easy to use great battery life or leave plugged in maps are great
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

v8mark wrote:i use the satmap 20 and its easy to use great battery life or leave plugged in maps are great
Are they on OS maps?

With money we don't have

v8mark

Post by v8mark »

Yes mate they use is maps .cards for any area are quite cheap but can be expensive for more detailed whole of uk
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

came across this elswhere no personal experience of my own or knowledge of the accuracy but may be worth investigation if a potential buyer of one of the above units these issues would be important to me..........

Garmin Montana 700 / 700i / 750i
Please be aware, if you are thinking of upgrading to, or purchasing the new Garmin Montana 700 please be warned that there is an issue with the topo 1:25,000 maps. They don't work on the device currently (Garmin are looking into it) and if you bought the 1:50:000 as part of the Topo pro bundle, these can't be donwloaded either.
With the new 700 range, Garmin, in their infinite wisdom, have also removed the option to install the maps from your device onto your computer to allow you to route plan without the device plugged in. This si sonthing the are "consider" bringing back.....

Return to “ACCESSORIES”