Aftermarket LED and HIDs now not allowed?

The essential art of farkling.
DanielS

Aftermarket LED and HIDs now not allowed?

Post by DanielS »

I saw this on a car forum where they say that it's no longer a matter of testing the beam pattern and if the pattern is ok, then it'll pass. It seems they're not allowing the lamps to be used anymore at all if the light was designed to be used with halogen bulbs?
A change to MOT manual was published on 11-Jan-2021 that states:

"Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp."

This DOESN'T cover cars converted with LED headlights (i.e. a specific LED headlight bowl/lamp) JUST the conversion H1/H4 LED bulbs. It also DOESN'T cover other bulbs - LED side/brake/turn lights are still legal, it's just headlights that are outlawed.
Chalky723

Re: Aftermarket LED and HIDs now not allowed?

Post by Chalky723 »

Strange isn't it - you'd assume that if it's in the right pattern & bright enough, it'd be fine.

The technology should be irrelevant!

D
bowber

Post by bowber »

I think this is just a rewording of the rules brought in a few years ago.
You can't fit LED or HID bulbs into halogen fittings, I think you can still fit approved LED light fittings.
I'm sure someone how really knows will be along shortly to correct us though 😀

Steve
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I think the reason is that the glass on the headlight directs the light where it is supposed to go if a halogen bulb is fitted, if you put an LED bulb in the light goes in the wrong direction and could potentially blind oncoming drivers. You can either fit a complete LED unit, or stick with what you have got and fit LED spotlights.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

Jak* wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:53 pm I think the reason is that the glass on the headlight directs the light where it is supposed to go if a halogen bulb is fitted, if you put an LED bulb in the light goes in the wrong direction and could potentially blind oncoming drivers. You can either fit a complete LED unit, or stick with what you have got and fit LED spotlights.
No.

My LED replacement bulb directs the light exactly the same as the halogen it replaces.

Whereas the LED spots point "somewhere" and are never tested & will never make the bike fail it's MOT!!

It's passed the past 2 MOTs with the LED headlight bulb, I'm quietly confident that it'll pass the next ones too - they have no real way of knowing if an LED is standard on a modern bike without taking more time than they have....

Worst case scenario, I'll dig the Halogen out of the top box, swap it over & take full advantage of the free retest. And then refit the LED so I can actually see at night.

D
DanielS

Post by DanielS »

Chalky723 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:30 pm .... they have no real way of knowing if an LED is standard on a modern bike without taking more time than they have....

Worst case scenario, I'll dig the Halogen out of the top box, swap it over & take full advantage of the free retest. And then refit the LED so I can actually see at night.

D
I *think* that HID or LED headlights are easy to spot as they have a projector style housing/lens rather than a traditional reflector type.

As you said though, there will be lots of people swapping bulbs over at MOT time unless you have a friendly MOT tester who has some common sense.
paul_tim2000

Post by paul_tim2000 »

I've had LED bulbs fitted to the Stelvio for the past 3 years but must admit this year I changed them back to Halogen for the MOT just to avoid putting the tester (who I know) in a difficult position. 5 min both ways avoids a lot of potential pain.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Just changed my really good LED bulb(great cut off etc) back to a dull 55/60 H4 based on the recent rule change--but what a PITA on my 600 Transalp--not a job for a dark, cold night---- plastic bits off with small screws and you need to have small hands and be a practised brain surgeon used to working by feel!. However, I did a bit of research and there are 5x7 rectangular full LED lamps out there for just over 20 quid (really for the Jeep Cherokee etc)--E marked etc--these are the projector type for both main and dip, and carry nice side marker lights as well. It means replacing the WHOLE headlamp assembly but thats it---they are completely sealed----and they carry a 3 pin connector on a fly lead as normal , and being LED should last--no fiddling with a bloody bulb. My thought is that its properly E marked , and is a COMPLETE assembly--so should meet all requirements of the MOT--Hondas typically have a flat cut off so are not drive handed anyway.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Got the 7x5 projector and tried it--really bright with a great cut off--BUT my Alp is at the design change point where they revised the front headlamp style slightly, and the instruments--so its not a straightforward fit--a challenge for a warmer day. However, if anyone needs the classic rectangular headlamp a new LED projector replacement--DOT and E marked !--and cheap 184638432890.
Chalky723

Post by Chalky723 »

As expected, my bike sailed through it's MOT with the aftermarket Cyclops LED bulb firmly in place.

The rules state that as long as the pattern is OK, it doesn't matter what the bulb is....

D

Return to “ACCESSORIES”