Top box turned into a catchtank.

The essential art of farkling.
bikenav

Top box turned into a catchtank.

Post by bikenav »

I have a plastic Givi topbox a big one not the budget one, had it a good few years bought used from the original carefull buyer. It has suddenly started to let in water, although it has been dropped on a couple of occasions whilst mounted there is no visible damage other than minor stuff to the trim. The seal, lips, mating surfaces, hinge, latch and all the main body appear perfectly servicable, there are no mods, cracks or holes drilled in it. Its a real puzzle to me where the water is getting in, parked overnight on the sidestand it will collect a cupfull of rain. Anyone come across this and found the leak point and or a solution. Ta very much.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: Top box turned into a catchtank.

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Fill with water, close lid, invert, observe leak
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Don’t leave top box on the bike when it’s raining.....

....sorry, I’ll get my coat.
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Sprinkle talcum powder or similar around the top lip inside, then see where it gets washed away.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

thanks for the thoughts, this is the second box gone the same way, they do have a bit of a rough time with me I suppose but more than a little frustrating, I think the talc powder may be my first try, sounds promising that leaving a witness, they only way I can imagine is water running around the vertical lip then backing up at a pinch point then pushing up and through the seal. perhaps cumlative wear on hinge, latch not creating enough pressure down on the seal, so may pick out the seal and put some packing under it, or it could all be misshaped but it closes sweetly.
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:33 pm Fill with water, close lid, invert, observe leak
:lol: :lol: :lol: clever! I like this idea.....thinking outside the box!!!!! See what i did there lol....
dazcoates

Post by dazcoates »

If you cant find the leek could you drill a hole where the water collects so at least it could drain out ?
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

You could use a silicon sealant around the seals, the hinges and lock then close it.

You might not be able to ever use the box again but at least it won't leak :geek:

Return to “ACCESSORIES”